AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the ability of AV receivers or preamps ( specifically Marantz 8003) to stream internet radio to my system. Since the XM and Sirius merger i have lost some programming that I can get on the internet. I think I can down load Winamp to my PC but will the receiver be able to utilize this application on the PC to stream it live to the receiver?

Can anyone comment on the ability of receivers to do this and on the sound quality?

TIA

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some receivers do support internet radio. Or you could buy a Squeezebox. Or you could hook the output from a computer sound card to your receiver.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You might want to check out Slim Device's products.

Transporter

Classic

I've been very happy with my Squeezebox. It comes with a large collection of Internet Radio stations preprogrammed, and you can add your own addresses, too.

- Jasen.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I, too, am a very happy squeezebox duet owner (actually two, one upstairs serving 3 zones, one downstairs serving 2 zones) as well as a squeezebox boom for my "clock radio" needs. The internet radio offerings from squeezebox prompted me (quickly) to deactivate the XM antenna on my Onkyo TX-SR805. I listen to a lot of talk radio, and it's nice picking a program from Radiotime almost anytime of the day and be able to hear most of the program. I also love Pandora (used it on the computer for a couple of years, but this really frees it up). I finally finished encoding my 13,200 WAV music files to FLAC files and tagged them with album art, so finding anything in my own music library is a breeze. I use the Squeezebox controllers in my primary rooms upstairs and down, but also have the Squidgy application for my iTouch and iPhone, so in essence have 4 remotes plus the computer to control the system.

So, it looks like no one's really answering the OP's original question, but honestly the easiest way to access more internet stations than you'll ever be able to listen to is via squeezebox. The sound quality's great (I use the analog inputs since my receivers can't do multiple zones with digital inputs
, and I would imagine the Burr-Brown DAC's in my receiver could do a better job). My only beef is losing wi-fi signals with the controller on occasion which seems to take awhile to re-acquire.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I thought I did answer his question
What did I miss?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts