AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife and I seem to have exhausted the netflix library for content we are interested in. Even my Dad who watches a lot of the cheesey monster movies is getting bored. Its not a bad service but we will probably use it as needed from now on. I think the only current shows that we watch and eventually comes to netflix is walking dead and continuum. I already have a prime membership for the shipping so watching doctor who and a few other shows there is a nice bonus.

Different services have different stuff and its getting expensive and more complicated to have amazon, netflix, and hulu. It makes more sense for the current season to become available and just subscribe for that month. I've also thought about buying some shows week to week but $3 per episode is very high considering a lot of shows are mostly filler. I'm going to set my ota dvr back up soon. Its about the only thing I have been consistently happy with.

I still think dvd by mail is the best solution rather than trying to figure out which service has what. Unfortunately no one focuses on that anymore. I wonder if buying the bluray sets outright and flipping them on ebay is the cheapest way? I think streaming is a poor substitute for cable, its getting more expensive, and you don't really get what you want

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

Netflix Instant-and the other subsequent streaming services, were never created or intended to be substitutes for cable. Rather, they are supplements to what you already have. This seems to be the problem many disatisfied people post online about. They (we), want a one stop shop that will service all our entertainment needs, and they thought Netflix would serve up everything-from newly released movies, to classics, and just aired TV series episodes. And that just isn't what they're capable of doing...

As wonderful as HBO is, you'd run into the same problem trying to use it as your sole entertainment outlet. The number of movies and shows you're interested in would be exhausted after a while. As long as you have something else to turn to-good over the air reception, a couple of these services will help you out a good deal, but as you've realized, you can't depend on just one and nothing else.

I wish I could get the broadcast locals OTA...I'd be more than happy to augment them with NF DVD+streaming & Amazon.

·
Registered
18,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C  /t/1524309/streaming-is-a-poor-substitute-for-cable-sat-imo/0_20#post_24530163

As long as you have something else to turn to-good over the air reception, a couple of these services will help you out a good deal, but as you've realized, you can't depend on just one and nothing else.

I wish I could get the broadcast locals OTA...I'd be more than happy to augment them with NF DVD+streaming & Amazon.

That's what we've been doing for years. We're fortunate enough to receive excellent, trouble-free OTA all year round. Between the AppleTV2, the streaming apps on the blu-ray player, and if need be, the laptop we're quite happy.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork  /t/1524309/streaming-is-a-poor-substitute-for-cable-sat-imo#post_24529731

My Wife and I seem to have exhausted the netflix library for content we are interested in. Even my Dad who watches a lot of the cheesey monster movies is getting bored. Its not a bad service but we will probably use it as needed from now on. I think the only current shows that we watch and eventually comes to netflix is walking dead and continuum. I already have a prime membership for the shipping so watching doctor who and a few other shows there is a nice bonus.

Different services have different stuff and its getting expensive and more complicated to have amazon, netflix, and hulu. It makes more sense for the current season to become available and just subscribe for that month. I've also thought about buying some shows week to week but $3 per episode is very high considering a lot of shows are mostly filler. I'm going to set my ota dvr back up soon. Its about the only thing I have been consistently happy with.

I still think dvd by mail is the best solution rather than trying to figure out which service has what. Unfortunately no one focuses on that anymore. I wonder if buying the bluray sets outright and flipping them on ebay is the cheapest way? I think streaming is a poor substitute for cable, its getting more expensive, and you don't really get what you want

Netflix is pretty good if you pay the extra $1.99 for a region switching service like Adfreetime . You open up a wide range of selections of movies and TV shows that just aren't available in the US that way. Check out what's available in other Netflix regions on Moreflicks .

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork  /t/1524309/streaming-is-a-poor-substitute-for-cable-sat-imo#post_24529731

I think streaming is a poor substitute for cable, its getting more expensive, and you don't really get what you want
You raise a valid point and no, I don't have the answer either. Currently I'm sure I spend too much on all of my entertainment alternatives but can afford it so I'm not really complaining, though acknowledge I'm probably wasting money. I have the full "Gold" package from Charter TV, Netflix streaming + 4 Blu-ray disc package, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, VUDU and some BDs, HDDVDs and DVDs on top of that I own. I've seriously been asking myself if/where I should cut back.and haven't come to a conclusion yet. Cutting the cable sounds intriguing, though I would lose things I/we enjoy often that precludes that. Why is that?

I like hockey and other sports and watch a couple of network shows and have no access to OTA, so see no other option than cable. I've had satellite in the past but at present Charter actually blows any satellite alternative out of the water. Perhaps I could go with a lesser package than Gold, but we mostly watch movies so the relatively small jump in price still seems worth it. Theatrical releases are still many months off before showing on cable, thus Blu-rays from Netflix are the best alternative IMO; VOD from Charter, VUDU, iTunes, etc. are unnecessarily expensive compared to this alternative and you still get bonus features sometimes on the Netflix BDs. We do use paid VOD occasionally but not preferentially. Netflix streaming, Amazon Instant and other streaming channels provide options and documentaries are a great option to be found there"on demand'. I wish some simpler single source accomplished all of this but unfortunately it doesn't exist to my knowledge.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Some people treat cord cutting and streaming like a religion. I could be classified as a cord cutter, just not one who drank the Kool-Aid. It comes down to what you want to watch and when, for a lot of people cable and DVR is a solution that works best. I happen to be able to get OTA reception and pick up some other things by streaming Netflix and some other services, but if I had the time to watch specialty channels HGTV, Food Network, things like that I would go to cable or Uverse with no problem.

If you can afford what you're watching and you enjoy it, then do. Compared to concerts and good restaurants cable is pretty reasonable (And yes streaming alone is a horrible substitute for cable)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty  /t/1524309/streaming-is-a-poor-substitute-for-cable-sat-imo#post_24530620

Currently I'm sure I spend too much on all of my entertainment alternatives but can afford it so I'm not really complaining, though acknowledge I'm probably wasting money.

We can afford it as well. However I'm fanatical about getting rid of monthly fee's. Even with all those services do you still run out of things to watch? We've had sat/cable off and on. I don't channel surf and dvr whatever shows I'm interested in. Most of what we record is network tv. Usually I'm not keeping up on more than 2 pay tv shows at a time. Which would end up being less than $6 a week if I did amazon subs. Still cheaper than cable and its nice to "keep up" with everyone else but more expensive than doing a netflix sub as needed. I don't think its a bad service but not something worth subbing to every month either.

I understand netflix isn't meant to replace cable however the original goal of netflix was to eventually rid itself of the dvd by mail program and focus on streaming. If so the service needs similar availability to what you can rent on dvd at the time. Instead you have various streaming services fighting over the rights to shows. Competition is good but it makes for a fragmented tv service.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork  /t/1524309/streaming-is-a-poor-substitute-for-cable-sat-imo#post_24531940

Even with all those services do you still run out of things to watch?
Rarely but it still does happen every once in awhile and that is kind of mind boggling when you think about it. Not so much that there isn't something to watch, just nothing that might sound appealing at the moment or not something that fits the time frame available.
Quote:
We've had sat/cable off and on. I don't channel surf and dvr whatever shows I'm interested in. Most of what we record is network tv.
We DVR the shows we follow to watch when we can or often just to skip the commercials. Also, all the movies on the premiums are not available on VOD so the DVR is pretty handy there as well. I do guide surf some and would miss that and often DVR things I run across which I otherwise would not be aware of. .
Quote:
I understand netflix isn't meant to replace cable however the original goal of netflix was to eventually rid itself of the dvd by mail program and focus on streaming. If so the service needs similar availability to what you can rent on dvd at the time. Instead you have various streaming services fighting over the rights to shows. Competition is good but it makes for a fragmented tv service.
I have to believe that Netflix total streaming might happen one day, though it doesn't appear to happening anytime soon. Pity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts