AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a media server/PC at home that i built with win7 64 bit ultimate, 6tb of space using flexraid. I use win7 MCE with media browser and it works great serving to my 2 xbox360s.

What i want to do is be able to access my movies and music basically from anywhere and stream the file to the pc or devices Im on.

What is the best and easiest software to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reading about playon and it says you must be on the same router

"Make sure your PlayOn device has a network connection to the same router that your PlayOn PC is connected to, and has the latest system software update installed"

Im looking for a solution for my mobile device to be anywhere in the country and stream from my work computer which is not on the same router.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
You may have missed the next bullet point of that section.

"Next, you must "pair" your device with your PC. On the first screen of the app, you should see your copy of PlayOn listed — it will have the same name as your PC. Select your PC and a menu of PlayOn channels should appear. Now that your device is "paired" with your PlayOn PC, you should now be able to watch PlayOn anywhere, either over Wi-Fi or 3G."

Once your paired your good to go.

The other option I would recommend is subsonic. Free software for 30 days and free app. If you decide you like it you can donate 20 bucks for a license after the 30 day trial. I have a WHS 2011 and just recently tried this app and software. Works great for my music library.

For videos I had to encode my files to MP4's using Handbrake and I am able to view them with the Subsonic app with no problems.

I tried to view the videos without converting them to mp4's, however it would buffer too much because they are large blu ray files, making the movie unwatchable.

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddysteddy8150 /forum/post/20804274

Hello,

I have a media server/PC at home that i built with win7 64 bit ultimate, 6tb of space using flexraid. I use win7 MCE with media browser and it works great serving to my 2 xbox360s.

What i want to do is be able to access my movies and music basically from anywhere and stream the file to the pc or devices Im on.

What is the best and easiest software to do this?

Thanks

check out www.plexapp.com

more feature rich than subsonic for sure. works well.

Sean

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remote Potato FTW!!! Works great... I can not only watch all my movies, listen to my music but I can also record any show I want and watch all my recorded shows from any PC and my Droid...

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Looks pretty good. Gonna give it a shot myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts