AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any downside whatsoever to using Apple TV via an iPad for music streaming to my AVR/stereo?

I considered a bunch of options - Roku, Spotify Connect, AVR's built-in Airplay, Grace Digital internet radio tuner, etc - but it seems like you can do all these things with an iPad and Apple TV. And you can do it with the TV off, you can have the iPad as a more functional remote, you can use more apps, play podcasts, play your own files, stream video, everything.

So I'm leaning towards just buying a used iPad mini ($180) and an Apple TV ($100) and ending it there. It's more expensive but it seems like a comprehensive solution. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right - I guess the main difference is that I would have the option of streaming video to my TV if I choose to. Also I'm reading online that Apple TV has a better interface and support in the form of updates than the AVR Airplay function.

So would Apple TV with an iPad be able to do everything these other streaming solutions do with the only downside being price?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
You're right - I guess the main difference is that I would have the option of streaming video to my TV if I choose to. Also I'm reading online that Apple TV has a better interface and support in the form of updates than the AVR Airplay function.

So would Apple TV with an iPad be able to do everything these other streaming solutions do with the only downside being price?
I'm very happy with my Apple TV as a streaming device.
Very nice with video. I use an iPad and can AirPlay any video
To the TV in an instant.

Apple just dropped the price of the ATV by $30 today.

I purchased an app called Air Video HD and can stream
Movies from my windows computer to my ATV thru my iPad.
It plays all video formats and converts on the fly.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I have to agree with the previous post.

I use my Apple TV to stream all my music and movies. I use an app called "Beamer" to stream any video. Supports resolutions up to 1080p and DD 5.1.

App: http://beamer-app.com

I personally wouldn't use anything other than an apple TV for streaming. It's great because there really is no interface. You turn on airplay and your device is the interface.

It's the way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Airplay is a very good flexible solution. You can do many things with it. You did mention Spotify Connect, so there is a distinction there. With Airplay, the ipad is the streamer and the airplay is the receiver. Spotify would stream to the ipad and the ipad converts the stream to a 44.1/16 format and streams to to the apple TV which is connected to the AVR. Spotify Connect is integrated into the AVR. You still use the ipad as the interface, but the stream is sent directly to the AVR. The ipad is not part of the audio stream. Functionally, more the same than different. You still use the ipad to operate Spotify, hit a little icon to send the music to the destination. Just the path is different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.