AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yes, but marginally if you are streaming at lower bitrates. True with Pandora. Not sure what you are getting with Spotify. Subscribing to a lossless service like Tidal will give you better sound quality even with your existing equipment. And improving the equipment when streaming lossless would likely give you greater improvement than better equipment with lossy streaming.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but marginally if you are streaming at lower bitrates. True with Pandora. Not sure what you are getting with Spotify. Subscribing to a lossless service like Tidal will give you better sound quality even with your existing equipment. And improving the equipment when streaming lossless would likely give you greater improvement than better equipment with lossy streaming.
Truth be told i listen in PLII :0/ Not sure if this changes things

·
Registered
99 Posts
Depending on what you are willing to go with, you can setup a 2 channel system or add a device to your current setup.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on what you are willing to go with, you can setup a 2 channel system or add a device to your current setup.

https://youtu.be/U5ReRo4deu4
It's not about device primarily. Generally, the higher bitrate songs are good in sound than low bitrate. This is similar to Blue-ray and 360p video difference.
My main and only system is my hometheater, looking at a NvidiaShield for music and movie streaming, the Pro

·
Registered
924 Posts
My main and only system is my hometheater, looking at a NvidiaShield for music and movie streaming, the Pro
I use nVidia Shield Pro/Kodi mostly as a music player. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I use nVidia Shield Pro/Kodi mostly as a music player. Very happy with it.
Care to expand on your system and how it works for you

I use my old BR player for Pandora, and i stream through an AirportXpress for Spotify from my phone, the AirportEx is horrible, the BR player works fine...... I listen at mostly background levels, and use DolbyPLIIx, my system is 7.1......

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I wouldn't recommend PLII for 2-channel music, personally, but to each their own with provolone.

I find im listening to music more often then ever before, i use Pandora and Spotify.

Will a better device get better sound then my iphone8(spotify) or BR player w/hdmi (Pandora)
When it comes to "sound quality", you're only as strong as your weakest link in the chain. If your original source material is some incredibly low bitrate 96 kbps MP3, it's highly likely that making an improvement to better source material (192 kbps, 256 kbps, preferably variable bit rate, etc etc) will have a marked improvement. I think *most* people (perhaps not AVS'ers like those that frequent these boards) are listening on gear such that, if they are already listening to 256 kbps vbr material, they'll get much more bang for their buck by improving their gear (speakers and/or their power source that is driving their speakers) than they will by further improving their source material from 256 kbps vbr compressed music to lossless (CD quality) bitrate music.

But "most" people aren't using an NVidia Shield or have "home theater" speakers... so without knowing what gear you have, it's hard to say.

If you've got a pair of speakers that can be driven to ~100 watts (or more) power, and you've got a power source capable of delivering those 100+ watts at a relatively low THD, and you're hard-wired to your source via quality (thick gage) speaker wire... and you've run some sort of room correction tool to deal with peaks and nulls... it's quite possible IMO that improving the quality of your "source material" from compressed (256/320 kbps) to CD-quality can result in additional improvement to sound quality. When that isn't the case, and I'm talking to someone who is listening to their music on some sort of $100 blutooth mono-speaker, my advice is to not worry about lossless audio and upgrade their speaker/power/room situation first/second/third...

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't recommend PLII for 2-channel music, personally, but to each their own with provolone.

When it comes to "sound quality", you're only as strong as your weakest link in the chain. If your original source material is some incredibly low bitrate 96 kbps MP3, it's highly likely that making an improvement to better source material (192 kbps, 256 kbps, preferably variable bit rate, etc etc) will have a marked improvement. I think *most* people (perhaps not AVS'ers like those that frequent these boards) are listening on gear such that, if they are already listening to 256 kbps vbr material, they'll get much more bang for their buck by improving their gear (speakers and/or their power source that is driving their speakers) than they will by further improving their source material from 256 kbps vbr compressed music to lossless (CD quality) bitrate music.

But "most" people aren't using an NVidia Shield or have "home theater" speakers... so without knowing what gear you have, it's hard to say.

If you've got a pair of speakers that can be driven to ~100 watts (or more) power, and you've got a power source capable of delivering those 100+ watts at a relatively low THD, and you're hard-wired to your source via quality (thick gage) speaker wire... and you've run some sort of room correction tool to deal with peaks and nulls... it's quite possible IMO that improving the quality of your "source material" from compressed (256/320 kbps) to CD-quality can result in additional improvement to sound quality. When that isn't the case, and I'm talking to someone who is listening to their music on some sort of $100 blutooth mono-speaker, my advice is to not worry about lossless audio and upgrade their speaker/power/room situation first/second/third...
The room and electronics are beyond most philes.

Sounds like the ShieldTV will give me a one unit musicbox player for streaming.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find im listening to music more often then ever before, i use Pandora and Spotify.

Will a better device get better sound then my iphone8(spotify) or BR player w/hdmi (Pandora)
After two years from using Spotify I switched to Deezer and I'm more than happy with my decision.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After two years from using Spotify I switched to Deezer and I'm more than happy with my decision.
What do you listen through, your hometheater, your TV, iphone ?

·
Registered
126 Posts

Love my music. May it be Pandora (Pandoki) or smb share.

Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry DAC and 7" touchscreen (LibreELEC/Kodi with Estouchy skin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Go into Pandora content settings and change Audio Quality to best. No, at least in your case changing your iPhone8 or BR player isn't going to improve anything. I'm not familiar with Spotify, but with streaming sites it's the compression they are using that affects the quality of sound.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you tell me more about your setup? I would love to set something like that up.

Super easy,

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi...3&keywords=raspberry+pi+7+touchscreen+display

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z5VGQEZQZ1WWFDW7S1Z0

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiBerry-DA...qid=1513279704&sr=1-1&keywords=hifi+berry+dac

https://www.amazon.com/LINESO-2Pack...id=1513279827&sr=8-3&keywords=rca+audio+balun

and of course a Pi...

HiFi Berry DAC RCA's connect to an older multi-zone Integra dtr for whole house music.

It's main use is music (Screen saver plays photo library during playback), also functions as TV (Streams FiOS music too or your favorite world news channel)

smb & ssh for update/management.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Super easy,

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi...3&keywords=raspberry+pi+7+touchscreen+display

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z5VGQEZQZ1WWFDW7S1Z0

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiBerry-DA...qid=1513279704&sr=1-1&keywords=hifi+berry+dac

https://www.amazon.com/LINESO-2Pack...id=1513279827&sr=8-3&keywords=rca+audio+balun

and of course a Pi...

HiFi Berry DAC RCA's connect to an older multi-zone Integra dtr for whole house music.

It's main use is music (Screen saver plays photo library during playback), also functions as TV (Streams FiOS music too or your favorite world news channel)

smb & ssh for update/management.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna have to steal your design.

A few question:

Is the ethernet extender necessary? I'm assuming it would be fine to simply connect from the RCA outputs directly to my amp.

Also, can the microSD port be used for musics storage and playback of all file types (e.g. FLAC)?

And is that just a picture frame you used around it? Looks great!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. I think I'm gonna have to steal your design.
What design? happy to share...

Is the Ethernet extender necessary? I'm assuming it would be fine to simply connect from the RCA outputs directly to my amp.
Correct, I used them simply because I wanted to.

Also, can the microSD port be used for musics storage and playback of all file types (e.g. FLAC)?
Technically yes, but don't, MicroSD slot holds OS (LibreELEC/Kodi). The Raspberry Pi has 4 usb ports, would suggest if going that route use self powered HD. Simpler & cleaner to use samba (SMB) share, especially if you're doing an inwall install.

If you're not familiar with Raspberry Pi's and/or Kodi, start your own thread/post or checkout kodi.tv

And is that just a picture frame you used around it? Looks great!
It is thx.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts