AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a popcorn hour a-110(soon to be a netgear ntv550!!). I have it on a gigabit switch on my network. Currently I have my upstairs pc as the media server. I have 2tb and 500gb external usb drives, and in the pc I have a 1.5tb drive. I really don't want to have to turn on and run my 300W+ pc everytime I want to watch something.

What are the best options I have (NAS etc.) that would work with my setup(usb and sata drives) and cost under about $300(less is better)?? I will use it for streaming blu ray and dvd rips only. I am just too confused with all the products out there. Just want something I can connect the drives too(and any new ones) that is on my network and doesn't use too much power. Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker
I have a popcorn hour a-110(soon to be a netgear ntv550!!). I have it on a gigabit switch on my network. Currently I have my upstairs pc as the media server. I have 2tb and 500gb external usb drives, and in the pc I have a 1.5tb drive. I really don't want to have to turn on and run my 300W+ pc everytime I want to watch something.

What are the best options I have (NAS etc.) that would work with my setup(usb and sata drives) and cost under about $300(less is better)?? I will use it for streaming blu ray and dvd rips only. I am just too confused with all the products out there. Just want something I can connect the drives too(and any new ones) that is on my network and doesn't use too much power. Thanks!!
For an inexpensive NAS that works well for streaming, check into the D-Link DNS-321. I have one and am very happy with it. It is a 2-bay unit. The diskless unit goes for ~$110, you can plug your own drives in. 2TB Seagate drives are going for $99.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks pretty good, but what about my usb drives, is there a good cheap nas for usb drives also??

·
Registered
13,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker /forum/post/19511823

That looks pretty good, but what about my usb drives, is there a good cheap nas for usb drives also??

Yes. There are USB NAS adapters like this one .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts