AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but if it isn't I'm sure that someone will tell me where to go.

I have a Roku 2, It does a very nice job of streaming content from the net to my home theater receiver. But I would like to be able to stream the audio and video going to the main monitor and speakers of my PC to my home theater receiver. It would then be one of several inputs to the receiver that I could choose to watch and listen to. It would have to be a wireless connection from my PC to my Roku.

Does anyone know how to do this? I would appreciate any knowledge, advice, and know-how that people would be willing to share. You could give me stuff like URL's to look at, information in magazines, etc. I will even appreciate comments such as: "Idiot! This will never work", "You'll be breaking about 10 different laws if you do this.", and such.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you talking about mirroring your PC (surfing the web/gaming) or playing saved video files from your PC.

For saved video files I use Plex and love it. It is a media server that runs on your home PC and then gives you access to various media libraries on that or any other computer.

If you are talking about mirroring your PC output to your TV via the Roku I'm not sure how you could so that. You could look in to a Chromecast....that would at least get you the web content.

Describe what you want and if I can offer any help I'd be more than willing to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey jmanderson10,

Thanks for replying to my request. You hit the nail on the head. What I want to do is mirror my PC output to my sound system and big-screen TV. There is a lot of content available on the net that I can't access directly with my Roku, such as the latest episodes of various series, movies, and certain local sporting events, to name a few. I certainly hope that you, or maybe somebody else, can give me some idea of what it will take in order to do this. (What would be incredibly nice would be if someone could tell me exactly how to do this since I'm virtually illiterate when it comes to these systems. Gee! I don't ask for much, do I.)

Anyway, I'm hoping that someone will at least be able to point me in the right direction so that I can find it for myself if I have to.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
I cant help you with sending your pc to your roku but if your willing to buy new equipment you can use an appletv ($100.00) and airparrot software ($9.99) to do this.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Install Plex Media Server ( https://plex.tv/downloads ) on your PC and Plex client on your Roku (which you may have to pay for, but worth it) and see if that provides what you're looking for. Plex Media Server allows you to access a lot of internet content via your Roku.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The two above solutions will both work for a portion of what you want to do. The AppleTV and airparrot will do the job but wirelessly its going to be hard to reliably get 1080p quality. Plex is great (I personally use it) and you can add many channels for internet only content but I doubt the local sports would be an option.

So that leaves 2 choices. If you can run cable the cheaper option would be run HDMI cable or an HDMI balun from your computer to the TV. Then you need to add control. The other option but more pricey is to put a dedicated computer that runs on your entertainment system (an HTPC). There is a whole subforum on the boards dedicated to this.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts