AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a htpc with a dual tuner card. I also have a smartphone that I use to watch tv at work (night job with lots of downtime) by streaming from my computer.

I currently use both Orb and Hauppauge's WinTV Extend. I really like wintv extend, as it streams with no issues, and has a quality adjustment for when I am on a slow network. The only downside is it streams flash video, which uses a TON of battery on my android phone compared to regular (h264) streaming. And Orb, while it does allow me to adjust the codec from flash to others, its very buggy on my computer, and always seems to completely fail when I need it, and then I have no way of fixing it until I get home.

So I was wondering if there are any software alternatives to streaming my tv from my computer to my phone? I would prefer something that would stream h264 so my phone doesnt use a lot of battery, and something that would easily let me change channels, or have a channel list to choose from. I really dont need to be able to stream recorded video from my computer, just live tv.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're talking about the OrbLive app? I don't use that app, it's way too buggy, and Orb hasn't updated it in over a year. Plus, the video quality is very bad compared to just going to the browser and going to mycast.orb.com. And the website allows you to change streaming settings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
not sure if you are looking for software or hardware..... I came across this company when i was looking for a sling box like product...... I did not buy it becoz my TV stream box "gogomedia" power supply problem has been fixed...and i only need to be able to let my family watch the TV channels in Hong Kong.

If you bought it, let me know whether it works well

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
not sure if you are looking for software or hardware.....

I said specifically in my first post I was looking for software, I already have hardware...

Quote:
I came across this company when i was looking for a sling box like product...... I did not buy it becoz my TV stream box "gogomedia" power supply problem has been fixed...and i only need to be able to let my family watch the TV channels in Hong Kong.

If you bought it, let me know whether it works well

Umm, what are you talking about? You didn't say the name of the product you are talking about...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte
If you want to just stream DVR or movie/videos/music setup in Media Center, you could check out Remote Potato. It can't do live TV, though. It supports up to 1800kbps stream.
Yeah I really don't need to stream dvr'd content, just live tv, sports mostly.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet
You're talking about the OrbLive app? I don't use that app, it's way too buggy, and Orb hasn't updated it in over a year. Plus, the video quality is very bad compared to just going to the browser and going to mycast.orb.com. And the website allows you to change streaming settings.
Nope. I'm talking about going to mycast.orb.com using your browser.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017
Nope. I'm talking about going to mycast.orb.com using your browser.
Ahh ok, I forgot you could restart it from there. Like I said, it still works ok, its just that I have to restart it more often then I would like, and sometimes for some reason it will never actually restart like it should

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.