AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously it's a small sampling and perhaps tilted towards streaming but still look at how streaming is skyrocketing. How small will DVD and or Blu-ray have to become before they are threatened? Worse case they become LaserDisc with high prices and limited selection?

http://feedfliks.com/dvd-vs-instant

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
CDs are still hanging in there.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity /forum/post/19516113

Interesting point as I listend to Pandora all afternoon.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 /forum/post/19516166

No wonder netflix is focusing more on streaming. I'd like the graph to break down DVD vs BR vs streaming.

They (the linked site) have several Blu-ray breakdowns. One I found interesting is that only 2% of their titles are available on Blu-ray.

Note: I'm not sure how accurate their numbers are but I think they can certainly reflect trends somewhat accurately.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
now if they could only offer more content via streaming and of course more quickly!

a few days into my streaming only trial and i'm a little underwhelmed

will likely cancel before it ends

oh yeah and the pq is also lacking on so called "hd" streams

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/19516899

now if they could only offer more content via streaming and of course more quickly!

a few days into my streaming only trial and i'm a little underwhelmed

will likely cancel before it ends

oh yeah and the pq is also lacking on so called "hd" streams

PQ is fine on the PS3 front, no it's not Blu quality but it's still pretty good especially on their newer additions like Parks and Rec (which offers 5.1 audio as well). I'm sure this will filter down to other platforms in no time.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I've seen those stats displayed in other threads in this forum, to support endless and tiresome arguments. It's pretty clear that streaming will win the battle between it and discs for general home movie viewing. Joe Average cannot appreciate the difference and the convenience factor is extremely compelling. PQ and AQ will only improve with time. Some AV-ophiles will stick by BDs, just as there are still staunch fans of vinyl audio recordings

Several years back, some big wheel Microsoft VP, when asked about their decision to support HD DVD over Blu-ray, responded that it really didn't matter since in the not-too-distant future physical video distribution would become moot and that online distribution would take over. When he said that I thought he was nuts, given the speed of reasonably priced broadband network access at the time, but it's happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity /forum/post/19516113

Do tell
. It's been years since I listened to one. Every now and then I buy a disc of something obscure and/or not available for purchase as a music file online. Recently I bought a copy of the Beatles Help! because I didn't have a recording of "Yesterday". (Only in the past month or two have MP3s of Beatles tunes been available for purchase online, from the iTunes store). Every now and again I'll buy a disc of something obscure that I can't buy in MP3 or WMA files online. Even when I was buying lots of discs, the last few hundred were opened, placed in my computer's CDROM drive, ripped, returned to their cases and put away, never to be placed in a drive again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the switch to more of a streaming focus is just market effects and demand. For some content streaming in SD with 2.0 audio is fine, because the original content wasn't high quality in the first place.

With the recent pricing changes down $1 for streaming only and up 1$ for streaming + discs I switched to the one disc at a time + streaming plan..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just signed up for my free Netflix trial last night and watched a movie. PQ was pretty good (not quite BD quality but definately better than DVD)... but 2.0 sound? Er...

All I have to say is I am glad my local Blockbuster is only a couple of blocks away and has a good selection of BD movies.

Netflix is convenient for grabbing a quick movie without having to leave the house, I'll grant them that, but for anyone who has invested in even a half-decent home theater setup the experience isn't quite there yet.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry /forum/post/19603504

Netflix is convenient for grabbing a quick movie without having to leave the house, I'll grant them that, but for anyone who has invested in even a half-decent home theater setup the experience isn't quite there yet.

I don't see Netflix competing with Blu-ray. Rather DVD/cable/satellite is its competition. Image and content depth it competes rather nicely especially when you consider the selection versus monthly fee. Many also try to compare it with new releases and that's not its market either. The 17,000 titles offer a depth of content not shiny new releases.
With the ability to view them instantly whenever you wish.

If all you ever do is watch a few movies a month sure it's next to worthless. If you spend some time and see what's available for general viewing there is a lot of great content to discover. Much of it you wouldn't find any other way such as a few I have watched of late...
  • Tin Man: Tin Man (3 episodes)
  • Flame and Citron
  • Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037
  • The President's Photographer
  • Tin Man: Search for the Emerald (3 episodes)
  • Tin Man: Into the Storm (3 episodes)
  • Dogs Decoded: Nova
  • Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Broken Embraces
  • The Young Victoria
  • Les Paul: Chasing Sound
  • Eureka: Ssn 1: Right as Raynes (12 episodes)
  • Smash His Camera
  • The September Issue
  • Gigantic
  • The Art of the Steal
  • When We Left Earth: Landing the Eagle (6 episodes)
  • When We Left Earth: Friends and Rivals (6 episodes)
  • When We Left Earth: Ordinary Supermen (6 episodes)

None of these I would have purchased or waited to show up in the mail but each of them I enjoyed (or the wife did
) more than something else I would have if they weren't available.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic /forum/post/19603867

I'm not a streamer, is there any stream content that is 720p min & DD 5.1?

and what would be the best box to get for that Roku, Vudu or Apple TV2?

Netflix has tons of 720p content and virtually none 5.1 (it's all stereo). If you want VOD VUDU and Amazon on Demand are typically higher quality and offer 5.1 but you'll be paying VOD prices.

Gear wise getting it free with your Blu-ray player, TiVo or whatnot is the best deal. Stand alone player wise the Roku players won't upscale to 1080p if you want the player to do the work and neither will the Apple TV but I really liked its image. If possible I would get something that offers Pandora (audio streaming) as in my opinion it makes the expense worthwhile in and of itself.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry /forum/post/19603504

Just signed up for my free Netflix trial last night and watched a movie. PQ was pretty good (not quite BD quality but definately better than DVD)... but 2.0 sound? Er...

What device were you using, and what title? Plenty of decent, high-quality content on there, but the quality varies from title to title. If you have a PS3, some is even in 5.1.

If you are using a Wii or watching some StarzPlay title that was encoded back in 2007/2008 (for example), you'll obviously be unimpressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/19603988

Netflix has tons of 720p content and virtually none 5.1 (it's all stereo). If you want VOD VUDU and Amazon on Demand are typically higher quality and offer 5.1 but you'll be paying VOD prices.

Again, if you have a PS3, there is 5.1 content. It's certainly not a ton, but out of 50+ titles in my queue, I'm guessing about 15 are. I'd have to do an actual count though to be sure and I'm not in front of my PS3 at the moment.

Oh, and there is 1080p content on the PS3 as well, but no way to identify what is 720p and what is 1080p (I have been guessing that anything in 5.1 is also in 1080p, but can't be certain). It certainly looks good on my 50" plasma though.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic /forum/post/19603867

I'm not a streamer, is there any stream content that is 720p min & DD 5.1?

The list of HD content on Netflix is available here:
http://www.netflix.com/WiHD?ftr=false
(Unfortunately you can only see that list if you're a Netflix sub already).
Quote:
and what would be the best box to get for that Roku, Vudu or Apple TV2?

There is no VUDU box anymore, is there? Its players are only available built into televisions and Blu-ray players and downloadable to the PS3. You can see the current set of things that you can stream Netflix with here . They include the Xbox, PS3 and Wii (non HD), so if you're a gamer you probably have something that can stream it already. The VUDU streamers are listed here , the Blockbuster streamers here and Amazon streamers here ; there is considerable overlap and many devices will stream more than one of these services. Currently only the AppleTV box, Macs and PCs can play video from iTunes.

·
Registered
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/19603988

Gear wise getting it free with your Blu-ray player, TiVo or whatnot is the best deal. Stand alone player wise the Roku players won't upscale to 1080p if you want the player to do the work and neither will the Apple TV but I really liked its image. If possible I would get something that offers Pandora (audio streaming) as in my opinion it makes the expense worthwhile in and of itself.

I have Pioneers 23fd, 51fd, & 320fd so no streaming from them, I also have 2 first versions Apple TV 160gb. I like the internet radio there especially the jazz stations like SkyFM, Ambiance, etc. which are free better than Pandora.

I seem to recall the last time I looked at a movie on the Apple TV in 720p, the same same movie PPV 1080i on Dish Network looked better on my Pioneer 151.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/19604143

Oh, and there is 1080p content on the PS3 as well, but no way to identify what is 720p and what is 1080p (I have been guessing that anything in 5.1 is also in 1080p, but can't be certain).

That's my guess as well--it seems unlikely that they'd go through a set of encodings to add 5.1 and not add 1080p video encodings. But as you say, there's no way to tell if you're getting one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts