AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to find the best way to make all the media on my HTPC accessible to a computer anywhere as long as both are online. I've been looking into the Slingbox Pro-HD, but I'm not sure if that will do the job. Do you guys have any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've actually been wondering the same thing! Recently I've been looking into various options for streaming my movies, tv shows, videos, pictures, and music on my computer to any computer I'm at or to my mobile phone. Ideally there exists an option that optimizes the content for streaming, transcoding on the fly. Definitely something that should be possibe if not already available.

Slingbox would work, but you'd have to have an analog video out from your computer since as far as I know slingbox doesn't have hdmi or dvi in. Also you'd have to have an IR receiver for your computer and setup a custom slingbox remote. Slightly complicated/annoying on the setup end, but pretty easy on the streamiing end as sling will take care of all of that for you. Plus with their new browser pluin, you can watch content from virtually anycomputer anywhere, all optimized for the available connection.

The ideal solution is for a software package to be able to essentially do what slingbox does straight from the computer. Possibilities that I have not yet tried but may work include: Orb, Tversity, the new WMP... anyone got anyother ideas? or comments on these?

Hope that helps Op, and hopefully we both find some answers...

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
For your phone (if it's an iPhone), check out Air Video. I use it everyday within my wifi network, but you can use it remotely too (never tried that though).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, Air Video looks interesting. I'll definitely give that a try tonight with my iPhone. Too bad it doesn't offer the same support for a laptop or remote computer.

I've always liked the idea of a Slingbox, but the more I read, the more complicated the setup seems. Also, the lack of HDMI or DVI support seems kinda crazy. The only thing it has, which is only on the Pro-HD, is component.

·
Registered
913 Posts
your making this way more complicated than you have to.

if you want to access your files within your home LAN, just enable file sharing, and make your movies network shared files. you can then access them from any other pc on your network, as if the movies were on the local hard drive.

if you want to access your files from outside your LAN (over the internet, outside your home for example), then your talking about configuring your home HTPC either as a web server. Your ability to watch movies may be limited by the upload speed your internet provider limits you to (usually slower than your upload speed)

·
Registered
837 Posts
this would be pretty cool but I don't think internet connections are fast enough to upload and download dvd's or blurays without significant loss of quality. Most home networks have a very low upload speed usually around 512kb and with this cap it'll be very hard to stream a movie with a low upload rate. This might explain why there isn't many companies that offer this service as they'll get many complaints about speed

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I don't use the placeshifter function, but SageTV offers it.

Basically, if you connect a client within your home LAN, it just serves the videos to it. If you connect in from the internet, the Sage Server will transcode the video to an appropriate bitrate for the connection. Obviously the quality will depend on your network connection.

This way you have full access to your DVR system (scheduling recordings, watching shows, watching DVD rips, etc.) from anywhere on the internet.

-Suntan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts