AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my own WMV encode of a 1080i movie from a transport stream. The original TS (1920x1080, of course) streams to the 360 and plays back correctly. Measuring the AR of the actual image on the screen, I get 2.27 (I'm not actually sure why I get this number, as the movie is supposedly 2.35, and when I take a frame capture of the TS and crop out the black bars, I get 1920 x 800, or 2.4 -- but at any rate, it looks "correct" on the screen).

In my encode, I cropped out the black bars to use more bitrate on the image, giving me a movie with a resolution of 1920x800. The movie looks identical to the original TS when played back on my pc with WMP, VLC, or Media Player Classic.

On the 360, though, the WMV is visibly squished. Measuring the screen (and I know this is not super-accurate), the image is 2.48. Why would this be?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, regardless of what the correct aspect ratio of the movie is or how accurate my measuring of the screen image is, my point is that I have two movie files with identical aspect ratios that are displayed significantly differently on the 360.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have not streamed TS files. I have been watching home movies (widescreen miniDV source). The resolution that fills widescreen on that level is 848x480. Any other resolution (including 720x480) and the video gets squished on the sides.

I have also downloaded 720p wmv's from IGN that fill the screen. I am not sure what resolution they are using, but you can take a look at their site.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The IGN videos are 1280x720 -- full (wide)screen.

I'm talking about cinemascope ratio stuff, 2.35:1 or so, with the letterbox bars cropped out -- leaving me with an image that is 1920 x 800. For some reason, the 360 squishes the image vertically. Fullscreen (1920x1080) plays back fine, of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.