AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1079 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts
I have been doing a ton of research on arcade sticks lately for some reason. I'm not even a big fighting game fan.


The cream of the crop is the upcoming SFIV Tournament Edition ones, they use all real arcade parts, but they cost $149.99 and are out of stock everywhere. They are going to be difficult and/or impossible to snag at launch. After that there is an $80 regular edition SFIV joystick ($70 on PS3) which is supposed to be good. Other than that it all comes down to what you are willing to pay. The more expensive joysticks have real arcade parts. I think the best 360 stick that you can buy today is the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX, but that costs $129.99 (the PS3 equivalent, the Hori Real Arcade Pro is only $89.99).


After that you are getting into like, the sticks made for DOA4, SCIV, etc., which are supposed to be decent for beginners but with mediocre quality parts and mod unfriendly construction.


There is also the $39.99 SFIV FightPad which is supposed to be excellent. It is modeled after the Saturn controller which most people consider best for fighting games.


If I had a 360 only I'd probably go with the SFIV branded stick since the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX is so expensive. But on the PS3, the HRAP3 is wayyy cheaper and the SFIV FightStick is $10 less (blame MS licensing fees).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
I'm going with the fightpad because my best home experiences are with the Sega Saturn controller (on the Saturn and with an adapter, my Dreamcast.) I'm also going to try to put a Sanwa stick on my Hori Fighting Stick because the thing on there already is straight garbage.


Someone in another thread on here claimed the pre-orders for the Tournament Edition stick are sold out, so you may be out of luck on that one. Everyone says it really is just like an arcade board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts
Tournament Edition joysticks are gone. Capcom and Mad Catz might do another run (probably will, with the response they have gotten), but unless you are willing to overpay by like 100% on eBay you won't be getting a Tournament Edition stick the day it comes out. You can get something close to it by just modding the regular stick, though, or so I hear.


I almost bought one, but learned a lesson from spending $250 on a Logitech G25 I barely use last year (gonna throw it on eBay soon).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,322 Posts
I've been wondering when someone would man up and make this thread.


Well, I regret not buying 2 TE sticks now. But I pre-ordered one through amazon a few months ago. Glad I did. There's a few pictures out there of the internals of this thing, it's amazing looking.


I may have to mod my TE stick to have an octagonal restrictor plate. I'm not sure If I'll be able to get used to square. I'm a Zangief player so I need my easy 360 motions.


It's been a while since I've played a SF game and I'm no where near what I used to be when these games were fresh. But I plan on obsessing over this game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info...seems to be some options, especially expensive ones
Interested in something like the Saturn controller...NoThru, any more info on it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
The Mad Catz fight pad is the one that's like the Saturn pad. There were a few hands on impressions around the internet, including Gamespot and Ars Technica. They're 39.99 and I pre-ordered the Chun Li on Amazon. Unfortunately, it's wired for 360 (and wireless for PS3 at the same price point! Grrr.) I'll get it for the PS3 as well if they only release Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on that system.


Fight pad: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Stree...1951944&sr=8-2


Fight stick: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Fight...ef=pd_sim_vg_4


Limited Edition game: http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter..._bxgy_vg_img_b


Kotaku hands on: http://kotaku.com/5128370/ces-09-han...tick--fightpad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Is the 150$ tournament stick a square motion?? I can't stand square, I'm also a Zangief user and I had to buy an 8 way mod for the stick for my Hori.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/15553287


Is the 150$ tournament stick a square motion?? I can't stand square, I'm also a Zangief user and I had to buy an 8 way mod for the stick for my Hori.

Yes sir, square gate. It has the exact setup of the japanese arcade cabinet, from what I read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd /forum/post/15553388


Yes sir, square gate. It has the exact setup of the japanese arcade cabinet, from what I read.

Then what really separates the Hori, Tournament, and SFIV madcatz stick? From what I heard, none of them are wireless either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/15553419


Then what really separates the Hori, Tournament, and SFIV madcatz stick? From what I heard, none of them are wireless either.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but basically it comes down to the parts in the stick. The TE SF4 stick uses genuine arcade components - from a company called Sanwa in Japan.


The Hori uses a Sanwa stick, but propietary buttons.


The SFIV madcatz stick uses propietary parts.


The propietary parts have a different feel than the Sanwa ones. However, the Hori HRAP and the regular SFIV sticks are both easily moddable, so you can buy the parts and swap them in, getting a stick with arcade quality components in the end.


The cheaper sticks, like the Hori EX2/SC4/Fighting Stick 3 ones, are much more difficult to mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/15552619


The Mad Catz fight pad is the one that's like the Saturn pad. There were a few hands on impressions around the internet, including Gamespot and Ars Technica. They're 39.99 and I pre-ordered the Chun Li on Amazon. Unfortunately, it's wired for 360 (and wireless for PS3 at the same price point! Grrr.) I'll get it for the PS3 as well if they only release Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on that system.


Fight pad: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Stree...1951944&sr=8-2


Fight stick: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Fight...ef=pd_sim_vg_4


Limited Edition game: http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter..._bxgy_vg_img_b


Kotaku hands on: http://kotaku.com/5128370/ces-09-han...tick--fightpad

The fight pad looks promising, and the price is right. Not sure if I like the art on it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/15553419


Then what really separates the Hori, Tournament, and SFIV madcatz stick? From what I heard, none of them are wireless either.

Differences are:


SFIV TE Stick:

-Sanwa JLF joystick with square gate (same as arcade; note: You can switch to an octo or circular gate for $5 extra).

-Sanwa buttons (same as arcade).

-3 different turbo speeds for each button

-cord storage compartment in the back of case

-Ability to disable Xbox button so you do not accidentally hit it



Hori Real Arcade Pro EX:

-Sanwa JLF joystick with square gate (same as arcade; note: You can switch to an octo or circular gate for $5 extra).

-Hori buttons (you can switch out to Sanwa for $3 per button plus shipping)



SFIV Stick:

Proprietary joystick and buttons. (can be switched out, but the cost is going to put you pretty close or above what you would pay just to get another stick with those features in the first place).



Which should you buy? Depends on how big a SF fan you are.


Casual player:

SFIV gamepad


Intermediate player:

SFIV 'regular arcade stick', Hori Real Arcade Pro EX (stock)


Hardcore or competitive level SF player:

SFIV Tournament Edition Arcade stick (sold out, but wait/hope for more)

Hori Real Arcade Pro EX (switch out buttons to Sanwa)

Custom stick by www.arcadeinabox.com or others
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
The biggest thing in the TE is everything is hot swappable so if you don't like a specific part you can order another one and just swap it in without any work. This includes the artwork as well.

The other thing is it has 2 button layouts, one is american,and the other is japanese.


There is no Joystick available like that.


The Te's will go for around 300- 500 on Ebay once SF4 launches. just watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Column /forum/post/15554423


The biggest thing in the TE is everything is hot swappable so if you don't like a specific part you can order another one and just swap it in without any work. This includes the artwork as well.

The other thing is it has 2 button layouts, one is american,and the other is japanese.


There is no Joystick available like that.


The Te's will go for around 300- 500 on Ebay once SF4 launches. just watch.

Honestly if you want to pay $300 or more, get a custom stick that is one of a kind unique to you. You can put whatever artwork you want on it, whatever button layout you prefer, whatever type of buttons you like, ect. You can even get it with 360, PS3 and PC compatibility all in one stick (and I recommend you do this, if you are going the custom route).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/15554488


Honestly if you want to pay $300 or more, get a custom stick that is one of a kind unique to you. You can put whatever artwork you want on it, whatever button layout you prefer, whatever type of buttons you like, ect. You can even get it with 360, PS3 and PC compatibility all in one stick (and I recommend you do this, if you are going the custom route).


You are not understanding the concept. This can be many sticks in one without any effort or modding knowledge at all. Not to mention you can remove the rubber feet and they have the bored in screwholes for arcade cabinets,or coffee tables..


Customs don't even come close to this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Column /forum/post/15554519


You are not understanding the concept. This can be many sticks in one without any effort or modding knowledge at all.


Customs don't even come close to this.

I agree with IeraseU, you can buy something like Arcade in a Box, custom built, for $220 which you can customize any way you want and can run on PS3 and 360.


Spending $300 on ebay for a TE is nuts, my days of buying overpriced peripherals on eBay is over (Twin Sticks for Dreamcast), good luck moving your product of course.
 
1 - 20 of 1079 Posts
Top