AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this weekend we went to the "Street of Dreams" show that happened to be really close to us in Newnan Georgia. It was to show off interior designer work and builder stuff. The houses ranged from about 650k to 750k unfurnished. They ranged about 5500 to 7500 finished square feet.

The two reasons that I went were to see the Kitchens and they mentioned that two of the 5 homes had Theater rooms.

Well the first one was just a dedicated wall entertainment center with a 60" RPTV. The room was nice, but nothing great. The sound was weak, but it was a nice room for a casual TV watcher type. They did have some really great chairs in that one.

The second one was quite nice. They had a G11 setup projected on a 10' wide screen. They had a pretty good sound setup and were showing the DTS sampler disc. The picture looked quite nice and all of the people going through were very impressed. As a matter of fact, the room stayed quite full the whole time I was there. They were feeding the projector a 480p feed from a Toshiba DVD player. Everything looked pretty good.

So if anybody needs a DILA demo in the Atlanta area, there you go. The admission was $10, but it was worth it. I liked how they set up most of the homes.

The one thing that really impressed my wife was how much interest was shown in the theater. Dedicated theaters may be getting some more good respect in the near future.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh to live in Georgia.

I went looking at new homes in Seattle (out by Microsoft) last weekend. They were nice but they weren't street of dreams. 4000 sq ft runs you $750K. Definitely no theaters in the bunch. So I bought 0.5 acre for $140K (with mountain view) and am building my own house with theater. Lord help me with the budget.

------------------

Jim Lauritzen

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Excellent, Cameron! There was an article in our local paper (News and Observer) this weekend about a luxury home show in this area as well ($1 million-$2 million homes) and I got a real kick reading about the home theaters that came "pre-installed" in these homes.

Of course, some of these HTs add a few hundred thousand to the cost of the homes!

Your post is very timely. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
For that price they should at least make it a G20.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the houses in many of the suburbs of Atlanta are pretty good deals in comparison to the rest of the US.

Cameron

------------------

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Just to satisfy my curiosity...what kind of screen was being used with the JVC?

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luca,

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif My HT setup cost a lot more than I thought it would! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Don,

I had never heard the name of the screen company before. They said that it was imported from Japan. They said that it was a microperf on 1.3 gain material.

I was stupid and I didn't get close to see how it compared to my Stewart Microperf. It didn't look as nice as my Stewart screen in the fit/finish department, but the picture quality was good.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
556 Posts
I went to see that exact house in the Atlanta Street of Dreams with my wife two weeks ago. I got a kick out of the fact that they had a PC in the theater and were quite proud of the fact that they could web browse in the theater, but were slack jawed when I told them they could use the PC instead of the DVD player to play DVD's. Apparently the guy who did the room is an ex-Disney sound engineer and his real area of passion is the audio (he designs, builds and sells his own line of speakers), but he is not up to speed on the video side of things.

By the way, I think the feed into the projector was 480i, not even 480p.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
760 Posts
Bernd,

Yeah...I liked the way the room was built a lot, but also thought the video was sub-par to what we DILA nuts are used to with our super tweaked systems. I think they were feeding satellite off a Seleco first gen. Not at all impressive and in line with the nicely done interior work.

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659592&a=12715694&f=0

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well maybe they did an update one their signal because I noticed that when he made a projector change, he was viewing at 480p. The picture didn't look to bad. It wasn't like a super tweaked DILA, but not bad at all. IMHO.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well Cameron, looks like you have helped me make up my mind about leaving our home theater up when we try to sell our house in a few weeks. I live in Newnan, Chatsworth subdivision actually. We were not sure if we should leave it as is or take it down and repaint the room but the Street of Dreams may help with the HT appeal (and at a small fraction of the cost).

Chuck Anstey

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool.

I really think that a great HT will be a good asset soon assuming that the economy doesn't tank too much.

I find it interesting that a couple of us here are from the Newnan/Sharpsburg/Peachtree City area.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I've seen some of your fancy home theaters...there isn't any way that you could "take them with you".

Once you install that really nice theater room, it becomes an inextricable part of the house.

I would say that it DEFINITELY adds value to the home! In fact, I have a friend house shopping right now who put " * theater room or room ready for theater installation" in his "must have" column!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi Cameron,

I also visited a Street of Dreams' theater in Atlanta, that was designed by Dennis Erskine. Very well done. Plus, it is a great cause for charity.

It was very nice to see so many people visiting with a smile on their faces. Dedicated rooms are starting to be accepted more and more for Home Theater use. There is some unmatched real added value to a Home Theater setup if in its own dedicated room, for the movie theater feel we are after.

And the best part is, they really can be more affordable than what people think.

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659592&a=12715694&f=0

·
Registered
254 Posts
My dedicated theater room is a room in the basement done on the ultra cheap. I could easily remove the black carpet from the walls (just taped and nailed), spackle any damage, repaint the walls and ceiling, and remove all the HT equipment and no one would ever know it used to be a HT room. Yes there are some HT rooms that are now part of the architecture but mine certainly is not one of them. I am willing and hoping that someone buys the house with the HT equipment as is for the current fair market price (added to the sale price of the house of course). Time for an upgrade, woohoo.

Chuck Anstey

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
There was a topic in another forum -- either HT General or HT Construction -- a few months back that dealt with the impact on resale value of homes with dedicated theater rooms. The thread was started by a real-estate agent who was disappointed when a few of his clients told him it detracted from the value. That it was square footage that was wasted. Can you believe it ? I think the final consensus was that a house had to be pretty large already to make a dedicated theater an asset rather than a waste of precious living area. 7500sf is probably not an issue, but under 3000sf you have to find a buyer who really loves it. And those people would probably rather re-equip it anyway. This equipment ages fast !

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well hopefully I won't have to sell my house for a good bit. I have invested a lot into the kitchen and basement. When I bought the house, it was about 2900 square feet, but the basements was totally unfinished and it is a pretty big basement. I added about 600 square feet this year. 300 is for a dedicated office the other 300 is my HT, Stairs and a hall. The basement is really nice and the HT is looking like it will be quite impressive. My house street value right now would probably be about $225k, but my house is one of those that has been upgraded above and beyond the relative neighborhood value. For example, my kitchen is a good bit better (IMHO) than any of those that I saw in the 650k-750k range.

So it will be very interesting if I have to sell. I love the house right now and I don't plan on leaving for a good while. Heck I still haven't put in a giant deck with a hot tub and all that other crap I seem to be throwing money at. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cameron,

Looks like were in pretty much the same boat as far as sq footage before & after HT installation. I wonder how many similarly sized houses have theaters in Atlanta. It does seem like there are quite a few people from Atlanta area on this site.

Where is the street of dreams and is it still on? I've yet to see a Dila at all, so I'd love to go.

------------------

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It will be on until the end of the month I think.

It is down in Newnan which is about 30 minutes South of Atlanta down 85.
http://www.streetofdreams.com/

Cameron

------------------

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.