AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just upgraded the coax cable i had been using(it was just a regualr coax cable from time warner .. ) , i think it was like 25 ft, anyway i got a new 12 ft coax RG6 cable from monoprice, quad shielded, and my samsung tv has like a SIGNAL STRENGTH meter, with the old time warner cable the signal strength was only 2 bars less than full, with the new shorter Monoprice cable the strength is 4 bars less than full,

Isnt, the new shorter cable supposed to give me better signal strength? (appearntley it doesnt... )

· Registered
24,036 Posts
12' vs. 25' shouldn't really make that much difference in signal strength (or... signal to noise ratio).

Put the 25' back and see if the signal returns. If it does... your new cable may be defective.

As suggested in your other thread. Check the new cable(s) and make sure that the center pin is not bent, broken or perhaps... too short. It should be the same or a tad longer than the other connector.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18120846

12' vs. 25' shouldn't really make that much difference in signal strength (or... signal to noise ratio).

Put the 25' back and see if the signal returns. If it does... your new cable may be defective.

As suggested in your other thread. Check the new cable(s) and make sure that the center pin is not bent, broken or perhaps... too short. It should be the same or a tad longer than the other connector.

It is longer, i noticed this in my living room setup aswell, i was using a regular time warner coax there, i dont even know if it was rg6 or rg59, it didndt say on the cable, with that time warner coax cable the strength was 2 bars below FULL , i installed a new Monoprice coax there aswell and when i checked the strength it was like 4 bars below FULL aswell,

maybe it must be something with mono price's coax cables? how they build it.. that affects signal strengh tests?

· Registered
24,036 Posts
Did you check both ends of the cable?

Did you re-install the original cable to see if there is a change?

Did you also change the splitter? If so, re-install the old splitter.

Is this the first drop after the 2-way splitter or after the 4-way?

I will stress again... 12' less coax cable should not dramatically improve the signal nor should 12' more degrade the signal drastically.

No one else has problems with Monoprice's coax cables.

· Registered
102 Posts
Sounds to me like you bought coax for internet use. It is made to allow data both ways. You need to buy a cable specific for one way only (TV viewing; no cable box) and make sure it is installed in the correct direction. Good luck in your new venture.

· Registered
24,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxmlr /forum/post/18122306

Sounds to me like you bought coax for internet use. It is made to allow data both ways. You need to buy a cable specific for one way only (TV viewing; no cable box) and make sure it is installed in the correct direction. Good luck in your new venture.

Absolutely incorrect information on all points.

(other than "good luck")

· Registered
9,938 Posts
I think he's making fun of him.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
I think he was trying to get lamonsasa to buy into it. Not that I condone the spreading of misinformation.

Mainly because it would result in eighty more threads from lamon complaining about how his "data can't flow right" or something.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol guys, i didnt Change the splitter yet, im pretty sure its the monoprice coax cable, not that its defective or anything, im not quiete sure, when i installed that cable the strength decreased compared(the tv has a strength check menu) to the time warner coax cable, i did reinstall the time warner coax cable and strength is back to 2 bars below FULL compared to the 4 bars below full with the monoprice cable.

This is the same in my living room tv, which is being fed from the MAIN 2 way splitter in the entrance of the house, not with the 4 way splitter in my bedroom,

I Dont even know if the time warner cable is RG59 or RG6 and if its dual shielded, quad shielded or what..

the monoprice coax cables i got are Quad shielded and are RG6, Heres a link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I made sure the tips are not bent or anything..

· Registered
24,036 Posts
Then return/exchange the Monoprice coax. Give them a call.

Keep the TW coax cable in place. Apparently there's nothing wrong with it.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18122666

Then return/exchange the Monoprice coax. Give them a call.

Keep the TW coax cable in place. Apparently there's nothing wrong with it.

i changed that cable because the monoprice cable has gold connectors and is quad shielded, also the time warner cable is so old and i was thinking it wouldnt hurt to upgrade, so basically im getting inferior signal to my tv with the new monoprice cable?

Which cable should i buy instead? that has gold connectors?

· Registered
24,036 Posts
You don't need "gold" connectors, you don't need quad shield and "old" cable that works doesn't need to be replaced.

And yet again...

Call Monoprice and explain your observations/concerns to them. The coax cable has a lifetime warranty.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18122911

You don't need "gold" connectors, you don't need quad shield and "old" cable that works doesn't need to be replaced.

And yet again...

Call Monoprice and explain your observations/concerns to them. The coax cable has a lifetime warranty.

okay i got it, just to summarize, i decreased my picture quality with the new cable or just the strength? i watched tv last night and i couldnt tell if the quality was decreased or improved

The main reason i changed the cable was because i didnt know if the time warne coax cable was rg6 and i read rg6 is superior to rg59 and that i should change it..

· Registered
24,036 Posts
Well, you're the one watching the TV. Has the picture quality changed?

You saw a difference when checking the "meter", so apparently you lost signal (whether it's strength or S/N ratio).

If you can't see a difference, I guess it's not a an issue. Don't "fix" it if it isn't broken.

For distances under 100', RG6 or RG59... it just doesn't matter. The TW coax was probably already RG6.

You have options:

1) use the TW coax

2) call Monoprice for exchange/refund

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18124725

Well, you're the one watching the TV. Has the picture quality changed?

You saw a difference when checking the "meter", so apparently you lost signal (whether it's strength or S/N ratio).

If you can't see a difference, I guess it's not a an issue. Don't "fix" it if it isn't broken.

For distances under 100', RG6 or RG59... it just doesn't matter. The TW coax was probably already RG6.

You have options:

1) use the TW coax

2) call Monoprice for exchange/refund

gotcha
ill just keep it there for now..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.