AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local NBC affiliate, Houston's KPRC, broadcasts an upconverted signal all the time. Since this is less compressed than the feed from DISH, I'd prefer to watch this superior picture. However, for some reason my TV's stretch modes don't work. Why don't they work? I have the DISH 6000 in SD mode (blue light is off).

Until recently, KPRC was broadcasting 2 signals: a standard definition signal, and an HD signal. The SD signal WAS stretchable.

The DISH 6000 stretch modes work, but I prefer the TV's Cinema Wide which does a little less cropping, and slight stretching on the sides.

·
Registered
504 Posts
All HD ready RPTV's lock in full mode when receiving a 1080i signal which is probably what your local digital channel is upconveting to...The 6000 is the only way you can stretch or zoom a 4.3 upconverted broadcast from your local..

·
Registered
83 Posts
My TV does indeed lock on full when I have the DISH 6000 setting for HD turned on. Then the stretch modes are disabled.

However, I'm asking about why things work as they do when my DISH 6000 is set for SD output. In this case, I've found that the stretch modes on the TV actually work, but it's kind of weird. When in "FULL" the picture is stretched to a 16X9 ratio (which is a distortion, since the broadcast really is 4X3); plus, it doesn't take up the whole TV screen: there are black borders on both sides as well as top and bottom. When in CINEMA WIDE, the picture looks correctly proportioned, but with black bands on right and left, but not top and bottom.

Anyone have a clue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.