AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panny 47". Like the Tosh's and the Mits's, it has a 'stretch' mode for watching 4:3 material that stretches the pic more on the edges than in the middle. My question is this:

My Dish 301 has a widescreen setting that presumably acts like the 'stretch' modes of the TV does. Does it overly distort the picture if the reciever is set to 16:9 AND the TV is in 'stretch' (on Panny, called "JUST") mode? Should one or the other be disabled? If so, which? Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 16:9 setting on the 301 is for the receiver to pass a 16:9 picture to a widescreen set. It doesn't really matter because Dish doesn't have any 16:9 programming. Anything that is "widescreen" on Dish is letterboxed in a 4:3 frame.

You TV will stretch the picture differently depending on which mode you set it in.

Just for kicks though leave the 301 set to 16:9 because that is what kind of display you have.

Now, all you need to do is move that 301 to another room an get a 6000 for that Panny. Then you could see some true 16:9 programming. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by cnz (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man...believe me I want to get that 6000....BUT...first need to convince the significant other that its worth $500 and mounting another dish on the roof. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just say, Honey it isn't right to have a HD set and only watch SD tv on it! Once she sees the picture, she won't say much but she'll enjoy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.