AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious - I have my heart pretty much set on a 65SWX20B. I didn't care much about stretch modes until I recently realized that I'd be playing quite a few Xbox games on this set. I understand that Xbox supports 16x9, but only a few of the games that I play support the same.

Anyone have good/bad comments about stretch modes and video gaming? I play a lot of NHL Hitz (god, I love that game), and FPS stuff like Ghost Recon. Does having the sides of the screen stretched make control difficult?

Thanks for input!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I've been having a blast with my Dreamcast on new Samsung widescreen. Not exactly your setup, but close enough.

Gaming works great with stretch modes, but you have to get the right mode. The zoom modes don't work because they push scores and such off screen. You have to stick to stretch modes.

There are usually two stretch modes. One stretches everything evenly - that's the one you want for gaming. The other stretches the edges a lot, but the center less so. The variable stretch modes are fine for "talking heads" TV, but making gaming very difficult. As long as you stick with the even-stretch mode, gaming is fine. Everything is a little wider than it should be, but since you are looking at cartoons and caricatures for the most part, it usually is not even noticeable. Perhaps on some of the ultra-realistic shooters it might appear a bit "off" but gameplay is unaffected.

The bottom line though - don't listen to us. If you are buying this TV to play a lot of XBox, bring your XBox to the store, hook it up, play, and see for yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
The variable stretch modes are fine for "talking heads" TV, but making gaming very difficult. As long as you stick with the even-stretch mode, gaming is fine.
Well, that's the thing. I don't believe the Hitachi has an even stretch mode - the only stretch is a variable one. You said it makes gaming "very difficult" - is it that bad?

I'll definitely take my Xbox in to test it, but this is bugging me a bit.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I don't play games on my Hitachi, but they do indeed have an even stretch mode in addition to a progressive one. In fact, the "4:3 expanded" progressive mode on the Hitachis actually slightly crops the top and bottom of the picuture where as the 16:9 standard (even) stretch does not. Keep this in mind when you are trying out your games. I suspect 16:9 standard would be the mode of choice for 4:3 games.

Rich

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkasprzak
Well, that's the thing. I don't believe the Hitachi has an even stretch mode - the only stretch is a variable one. You said it makes gaming "very difficult" - is it that bad?

I'll definitely take my Xbox in to test it, but this is bugging me a bit.
All 16x9 sets have an even stretch mode. It is the same mode for watching anamorphic DVDs.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have the Hitachi 57SWX20B and an Xbox and have no problems in the 16x9 mode. When the Xbox is set to 16x9 I think it does the stretching, but I'm not sure since all the games I have support widescreen.

However, DTV signals do not look very good streched -partly because of compression and partly because of the Hitachi. Most of the time it is fine but side to side panning is pretty bad, there is a very noticable bowing. All in all I love the TV (particularly when watching DVDs) and the HDVR2 (new direcTivo) has a 16x9 mode as well, If my preorder ever arrives I will let you know if it fixes some of the DTV stretching and panning issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.