AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post after a month or so of lurking. Can any owners of the Samsung DLPs comment on the stretch modes for SD TV watching. I was under the impression that the Pioneer Elites excelled at this, but after doing a search couldn't find out much about the Sammys capabilites with regards to this.

I understand that burn in its not a problem but some of us may want to use as much real estate as we can, if it looks reasonable.

I appreciate the feedback and this is really quite an impressive site.

Thanks,

JTMav(Go Red Sox)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Is any picture distortion reasonable? Especially when there's no burn in factor?

·
Registered
159 Posts
For normal TV shows I think the Panorama mode is pretty good. Wide makes everything look fat and I just can't take it. If it is a sporting event or has a ticker/text along the edges then the Panorama mode gets a little dizzying. Mostly I just use the normal with black bars if I have to watch SD.

I recommend getting HD so you don't have to deal with it... I have OTA via a myHD on my HTPC and it is awesome.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
A lot of people who own Samsung DLP sets have very little interest is stretching, zooming, or panorama tricks to fill the screen with a further distortion of already distorted SD programming material.

What is almost required for CRT RPTV is an unneeded artifact engine once that requirement no longer exists (i.e., LCoS, LCD, or DLP).

You might be happier with a CRT RPTV if SD is your major focus of interest. CRT based sets have other advantages as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would stretch if they don't have to. Isn't getting the best PQ the whole purpose of getting an HD monitor? No burn in - so dont stretch.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a HLN 467, and like "most" don't use the stretch modes for 4:3 viewing. The set looks GOOD with pillar boxes I think in part because of they are dark and somewhat match the black horizontal part of the cabinet. This is the opposite of how I felt about my PDP. I HATED watching that in 4:3 because the "screen" was gray and distracting... anyway, one of the great things about DLP is that you don't have to worry about burn-in, although I think most people are just paranoid about it... especially when it comes to screen bugs/logos.

The modes available on the Sammys are:

Normal

Wide - Normal height and stretched evenly to full width... frankly too wide...

Panorama - The middle two-thirds (roughly) is not stretched, but the edges are stretched to fill the screen... frankly it's just weird... it's moderately suited to sports, like football... but movies, sit-comes, etc... are un-watchable in this mode, IMHO.

Zoom 1 - takes letterboxed format from 4:3 to full screen - good, when applicable, but does magnify artifacts and noise some.

Zoom 2 - zooms even more than 1... Don’t know what the use is...

The stretch mode that is missing from this set is the one I like... which compromises between zooming and cropping... which was available on the PDP I got rid of. It cropped about 5% off the top and bottom and then stretched the picture to fit the width. It made the "wide" mode "watchableâ€. You noticed it when you thought about it, but it was much easier to get use to than the normal "wide" modes which I find totally un-watchable.

Good luck... my 467 gets swapped for a 567 tomorrow :)

-Jon

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by justman
I don't understand why anyone would stretch if they don't have to. Isn't getting the best PQ the whole purpose of getting an HD monitor? No burn in - so dont stretch.
It's my "purpose" too but I know people who feel they are being cheated if their screen isn't full of moving color at all times. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.