AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
XMC2, XPA5, Veritas 2.4i, 2.2i, SVS PC22-31PCi x 2, LG C1, LG CX, Panasonic VT60
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you leave the aspect ratio on your 16:9 sets to "full" or wide" when playing prgressive scan video games?

I think it looks pretty alright for most games, and looks damn good for the games that support 16:9.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm low on inputs on my dispay so I just go for 4:3 with S Video.

They gotta start making more component inputs for progressive displays.

I cant use a switcher because my component inputs/settings are calibrated for Prog. DVD & HDTV :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use the "Full" mode on my Toshiba 34" widescreen TV and it looks fine. Then again, I was never a huge Nintendo player in the past, so I wouldn't notice if Mario looked a little chubby. :)

Occasionally, I have accidentally left the TV in one of the non-linear side stretch modes and that looked OK too. Depending on the type of game, though, it might get annoying seeing objects stretch more as they get closer to the side of the screen.

I just started playing Eternal Darkness last night and that looks fantastic in progressive, widescreen mode.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think most of the games I own look ok in stretch mode. Sports games are good, driving games seem ok, puzzle games and platformers seem to look ok too.

The problem I have is with fast motion FPS games... It's VERY annoying when you're looking around quickly. It's very noticible on my 57 inch Toshiba and I think that's one thing that contributes to my motion sickness on this big TV. If I play in normal mode with gray bars on the sides, the motion sickness seems to go away- but I refuse to leave my TV in that mode. So, I play those games on a smaller normal TV and save the others for the widescreen.

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well i finally went ahead and did it ! ... not sure how to comment yet b/c i am still getting used to the new t.v. ... but i went out and bought a widescreen Hitachi and Guilty Gear X2 looks awesome ... my only complaint is the stretch mode seems odd to me ... i hope i can get used to it ? although i am ready for the future so bring it on ... the sooner the better. thanks for the input guys. :D

btw .. i got an xbox as well from ebay for cheap ... now i am set.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 16:9 TV, and I think 4:3 games look terrible when they are in Full mode - ie stretched only horizontally. I can really tell the difference in any game, and it looks really bad to me.

On the other hand, if I use the Wide Zoom mode, it cuts off a bit of the top and bottom, and stretches the image horizontally - more so near the edges. The view mode looks very natural to me and I use it for every 4:3 game - with the exception of the very few 4:3 games that actually have important info very close to the top of the screen. For these games I use the Full mode. Amplitude for PS2 is one of them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I pretty much echo the thoughts of buttonmasher ^ but I generally like to leave my picture unstretched for most 4:3 material. However, I find that there are a lot of games that I don't mind playing in WIDE ZOOM. As long as any GUI type things don't get cut off, I think it's fine. However, I cannot stand using Full mode ever.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's a matter of taste. I personally can't stand it. Some have no problem with it. But, if you are picky enough to want a nice home theater system in the first place, chances are you're going to want to stay as true to the correct aspect ratio as possible. Especially when you have friends over and they say "it's cool, but why does everyone look sorta squished?"

Shawn

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Most games are so cartoony anyway that stretching them out doesnt detract to much. I have a gamecube and play all my games in full mode and most you cannot even tell they are stretched. Some do not look that great stretched but most look great and when ever you use the zoom modes you loose resolution so I would rather not do that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've played all of my games from the start using the full screen and I honestly can't tell which games are native 16:9 and which are 4:3 stretched. It's all good to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been gaming on my 16:9 Mits for about 3 years now, I've had the PS2, now I currently own the Xbox and the Gamecube and I don't stretch any games I dont zoom in, don't expand or anything, you lose sharpness, detail, and picture even with the progressive scan and it just isn't the way the image was meant to be displayed so 9 out 10 times the image doesn't look good, my advice to any body considering a 16:9 HDTV is buy it if that's what you want, but also think about getting a 27 inch WEGA or something like that with component inputs to play all your non-widescreen games on I own 2 Xbox's for that very reason.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you don't like the way games look stretched. Why not just play them in the normal or standard setting and have grey/black bars on the side of the game? As long as you aren't pulling daily 16 hour halo marathons or only using your set to play games and have your contrast ratio turned down, there should be no burn-in problem. It seems like a waste to buy a $2000-$5000 big screen television and then choosing to play the (vast?) majority of your games on a 27" tv. I almost always play games stretched but am not opposed to putting my tv in 4:3 mode to play a game that isn't widescreen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The purpose of my post was to offer my input on the whole stretching vs non-stretching thing which was the original question and as I stated in the post I simply don't play games stretched, zoomed, etc, that means I do play them in 4:3, Mits have grey bars on the sides as opposed to black to slow down phosphur burn in of the lenses, I still play on my 16:9 but at least with the 27 inch Wega I can still be balanced overall in my gaming while splitting the time between the 2 TV's and as a side bonus my house makes for some great LAN parties but that's another topic, but as nice as gaming is I did not buy my 16:9 TV for video games I bought it for movies I don't even like the HDTV programming it's all about the movies for me thats the main purpose of my 16:9 the widescreen games are just a bonus.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It varies from game to game. Mech Assault, for example, doesn't look bad at all stretched. Who cares if your mech is a little fatter?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmm, interesting preferences, but if you own a 61" 16:9 (native 1280 X 720) and you play, lets say Halo, in its standard 4:3 mode, you will still have a large, high rez game on your hands, no? 4:3 on a 61" 16:9 would be how large? 50" or something I would suspect. If it really bothers you, get a masking system like they use of projector screens! Ha!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.