AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to go the 80/20 quickframe route for an AT screen secured via o-rings and grommets. I've been reading the previous threads discussing this method, but no one seemed to have a conclusive answer regarding a center vertical support being a problem. Can anyone chime in that has set their screen up in this fashion?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 /forum/post/20899532

I'm looking to go the 80/20 quickframe route for an AT screen secured via o-rings and grommets. I've been reading the previous threads discussing this method, but no one seemed to have a conclusive answer regarding a center vertical support being a problem. Can anyone chime in that has set their screen up in this fashion?

1st off, the material cannot touch the Framing member. It (FM) should be recessed at least 1/2 the thickness of the Frame...or more, and 2ndly, it should be wrapped (or painted) with a material that will not reflect light to the point it will noticeably lighten the surface of the actual screen material because light is returned via such a reflection.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Instead of one center support, use two and offset them, so they clear the center channel.

I had Jamestown builds one like this for me (custom frame - cost about the same as the 80/20 parts would have, which I was also considering), and then added Seymour A/V CenterStage XD material to the frame (tab tensioned). I also painted the supports flat black, per MM above - and they are recessed some away from the screen material so as to not come in contact with it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20899700

1st off, the material cannot touch the Framing member. It (FM) should be recessed at least 1/2 the thickness of the Frame...or more, and 2ndly, it should be wrapped (or painted) with a material that will not reflect light to the point it will noticeably lighten the surface of the actual screen material because light is returned via such a reflection.

I appreciate the reply MM. I'm going to paint the frame black regardless. I don't think 80/20 has any smaller tubes in their quickframe series, so I might just scrap the material all together. I can use a different material in the center, but whatever I come up with probably wouldn't have the factory look I'm attempting to go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20899928

Instead of one center support, use two and offset them, so they clear the center channel.

I had Jamestown builds one like this for me (custom frame - cost about the same as the 80/20 parts would have, which I was also considering), and then added Seymour A/V CenterStage XD material to the frame (tab tensioned). I also painted the supports flat black, per MM above - and they are recessed some away from the screen material so as to not come in contact with it.

Thanks Brad. (Beautiful theater btw! I've been lurking and following your build from the beginning
.) And thanks for pointing me towards Jamestown. I found their website and shot them an email. Hopefully it isn't too expensive. And I COMPLETELY forgot about the center support getting in the way of my center channel. I was busy reading people's builds who weren't making AT screens and just overlooked that aspect. Back to the drawing board it is.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 /forum/post/20900615

I appreciate the reply MM. I'm going to paint the frame black regardless. I don't think 80/20 has any smaller tubes in their quickframe series, so I might just scrap the material all together. I can use a different material in the center, but whatever I come up with probably wouldn't have the factory look I'm attempting to go for.

Well, how many times will you take down the screen to show people what's behind it? Go for assured functionality. And then tell any miscreant that peeks behind and say's "Gosh...isn't that a bit rough looking?" to :

"Go Away. Never Come back. You will NEVER be one of "The People!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.