AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in-need of a screen setup w/ stand and trusses.

I saw the projection screen setup at my church, over 10' tall, and it looks and feel like spandex or some-sort. It's wrapped over a huge stand and frame/trusses.

I need it for events bc the nature of setting up and putting away, I need something that is wrinkle-free yet a good viewable screen.

Where can I find these screen material?

Also, are there any DIY for putting together a stand w/ trusses/frame setup to wrap w/ the screen?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profuse007 /forum/post/17024762

I am in-need of a screen setup w/ stand and trusses.

I saw the projection screen setup at my church, over 10' tall, and it looks and feel like spandex or some-sort. It's wrapped over a huge stand and frame/trusses.

Interesting. Was it a Rear Projection Screen? Are you trying to achieve something that would be close to 10' as well? Indoor? Outdoor?

Quote:
I need it for events bc the nature of setting up and putting away, I need something that is wrinkle-free yet a good viewable screen.

Where can I find these screen material?

You've posed a difficult question. First. any material that does not "Roll Up" on a drum roller assembly has to be folded, and folding will crease virtually anything, even stretch materials made from soft Vinyl or Rubber. "REALLY" stretchy stuff, say a material like a spandex, will usually have too loose a weave, and that weave will expand when pulled taunt. Actual Projection screen material is always available...and seamless out to certain sizes...but repeatedly folding it up and storing it, then taking it out and re stretching it doesn't seem to be a viable option.

Ya know...the very first thing I'd have to suggest is to go back to Church and ask the as to what they are using. In all things related to the Church...it's always best to go straight to the "Source".

Quote:
Also, are there any DIY for putting together a stand w/ trusses/frame setup to wrap w/ the screen?

Now that might be quite a bit more possible. Material Clips that use a Bungee Cord system have come into being as of late. A framework consisting of Schedule 40 PVC Tubing, or Aluminum Poles comes to mind.

Here's one thought. Inflatable Screens (...a up & coming fad that is really about 4 years old...) are fairly inexpensive ($400.00 @ 12' Diagonal) and most all of them have a surface that is also attached with the "Bungee Cord" system over the face of inflatable "Stand". Obviously, the material used has to be taken down and folded for storage, so that stuff might be just what your looking for. Nice additional use would be the occasional Outdoor application where using the inflatable Stand might make things possible that otherwise might not be.

Just as obviously, that solution isn't really much along the way of being DIY (...except the set up...
) but we on DIY Screens would be remiss if we didn't suggest alternatives to DIY. We just won't elaborate upon the materials themselves if they are specifically designed and Mfg. for use as a "Screen". Pointing someone in the right direction? A common courtesy.

Lastly, a jaunt over to the "Screens" where you might post a Question Specific Thread could generate some answers from someone more familiar with a specific solution to your request.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You should look at Trapeze Plus from Dazian. They have a website. I use it for rear projection on a 12' x 6'9" screen. Some folks on the Backyard Theater website use a truss system for frames. They would be a very good source of information and have a lot of useful tips and advice.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Adult Beverage,

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! That's a great suggestion for Profuse007 to pursue..........and cannot be expounded on "profusely" enough.

In your own experience, was the material applicable for viewing on both sides?

Are you using White....or the Dove Gray?

Best of all, Dazian has been a staple of the DIY community for years now, so in that we are still keeping it "All in the Family".

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the white Trapzez Plus on an EMT frame in the backyard. I put it together to test out the material and have just left it up, rain or shine. For outdoor viewing I am extrememly pleased with it. I use it for rear projection to keep the projector and wires out of harms way. It's not quite as good as the BOC screen I also have for outside but from 16 feet and further still looks very good. Constant compliments from guests. If used for front projection the image is a little brighter, but not sure if it is any sharper. I considered the gray, but wasn't sure how dark it was and couldn't find any reviews for my application. Two yards was under $40, can't beat it for a summer with friends out in the yard.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
It just so happens I'm not just a observing Party....I have a immediate use for something as ideally suited for RP as possible. Here's my app.......

62" x 62" Widow with RP (Optoma 1693 w/3600 lumens 2500:1 CR)

62" x 39" image area

Use: Showing a simulated Aquarium DVD.

Desired: Viewing from both sides.

So far, Dazian's actual Gray RP material looked promising at 2.0+ Gain within 30 degrees on axis, but it's 2x as expensive, and there would be a LOT of wastage after trimming.

I'm supposing that with such a small image, such high lumens, and using a Gray as well, that everything might gel together.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I use a massive sheet of white spandex for my outdoor screen. It can easily be used as a rear projection material as well. You can get it in sizes up to 120" wide by the yard at www.spandexworld.com . (Disclaimer - I do not work for Spandex World, but I have scoured the interwebs looking for material and Spandex World was the cheapest option.)

Look at www.spandexworld.com under "nylon spandex" on the left of the screen, and then under "80"/120" spandex".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

It's a white screen.

It was the first time I saw the material and I couldn't determine what it was. It seems that you would be able to project it from the front or the back. My church always project it from the front but it's viewable from the rear.

The setup is not a DIY, the stand was made out of square aluminum tube, easy to construct and deconstruct.

The box that they contain it is approx 4'x2'x1.5'(height). I saw them putting away and just folded up into the tiny box. Now, I don't need a screen size in that magnitude but something around 6' tall. However, together wrapped on a stand would be about 10' tall.

...but yeah, my church has various projection screen size but this one is huge and it's not conventional projection screen. the screen itself is ~10' w/ 4' offset from the ground. they set it up every year for festival, and it's indoor.

I the setup will always be indoor for me.

I will check out Dazian.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profuse007 /forum/post/17029183

Steve, I think that's it. Which one is more proper, shiny or matte finish?

Sorry for the late reply. I cannot comment on the shiny surface - I don't know how shiny it is, and whether you would have issues with hotspotting (reflection of the bulb back at the audience, which is seen as a bright spot in the middle of the screen).

I bought the matte material and it works great.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I am curious how it works out. Please post an update when you get it together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts