AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has been shredded to bits, forgive me for asking again.

I am aware of all the technical differences the 805 has over the 606.. price, pre-outs, HDMI ports, better audyssey, better DAC, more power, 7.1 matrixing, etc etc etc.

Things to consider:

- I live in an apartment. My volume never reaches anything close to reference level. On my 606 the volume is Never above 45.

- Speakers are Mirage... V2 FS towers, OMD5 sats, OMDC1 center. They are pretty efficient speakers.

- 60% of time spent in 2ch stereo (music), rest of time watching blu-ray movies.

- I do not care for the pre-out on the 805 or any of the other mentioned advantages.

- I can get an 805 for $350 and can probably sell my 606 for $150, if this helps?

All things considered, will there be significant improvement in sound quality going from the 606 to the 805 for my listening? Will the better DAC, THX certification, better audyssey, and/or more power per channel truly be noticeable for lossless audio and/or regular cd's/sacd's at low to moderate volume? I like to think my ears are fairly sensitive, despite the limited listening conditions, but... I just couldnt find any info about this specific set of circumstances.

Thanks anyone for your input

·
Registered
444 Posts
The 805 is one of the heaviest built Onkyos in its price range in recent memory. Look at this year's lineup, and you have to go to the 3008 to get something that weighs in close to the 805 (last year it was the 1007, but it seems Onkyo keeps cheapening the lineup).

The THX Certification on the 805 is Ultra2, not Select like most other receivers. In trying to sort out the hyped specs on receiver's amp sections i've resorted to looking at overall weight and energy requirements. The 805 weighs nearly 50lbs, I can't remember the power requirements off the top of my head, but they're pretty high.

The only downside to the 805 is that it runs hot. Easily fixed with a USB Computer Fan from Amazon or elsewhere. Get a USB to AC converter (like an iPhone or MP3 player type plug which you probably have lying around) plug it into the back of the receiver, and attach the USB fan (that way power is switched as well) ... problem solved. Another minus is the older Faroudja DCDi Processing and not that many HDMI inputs. For me it doesn't matter, I only need one for my Set Top Box, and Blu Ray Player anyway.

You will also get Pure Audio or Direct (I can't remember which mode isn't enabled on the 606). Overall the featureset will be similar, but you're getting one heavy powerful receiver. Look at today's units and see how far up the line with Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc you have to go to get a unit as heavy and as powerful as the 805.

Will you notice the difference, that's hard to say, will it be able to fill up the room with sound easily? Most likely.

For what it's worth I owned an Onkyo TX-SR600, and later moved up to the 805. The 805 did a splendid job powering my OM-9s and Omni 50s. Like you most of the time was either with 2-channel music, or otherwise Blu Ray. There's also a good amount of support for the 805 on this forum, where they address common issues that are fixable.

I looked at replacing my 805 this year (moving it to my secondary system, and getting something else for the primary). I couldn't find a receiver with a comparable amp-section without spending much more money. In the end, the 805 will stay where it is

1 - 2 of 2 Posts