AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Sony CX1 and occasionally notice feint vertical stripes (like a neatly mown lawn) in some scenes.

It's most noticable when there's a wide expanse of blue sky but it also shows up in scenes with large areas of pale grey/green (office walls when Neo is being interrogated by Agent Smith in The Matrix).

Has anybody else notice the same effect on this (or any other) machine and is there anything I can do about it ?

Sam

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is known as banding and is related by the way the LCD panels are driven (any expert to confirm?).

This problem seems to appear with Sony projectors more specifically. If the banding is visible you should obtain a replacment unit from Sony.

But, some people noticed that the banding is much more apparent on certains circumstancies that may be related to cables, power, ground, players, etc. In the www.thebigpicturedvd.com forum dedicated to the Sony VPL-VW10HT some people were experiencing a banding problem when this projector was connected with a Sony 9000 DVD player via component output. It appeared that there was a flaw in the design of the DVD player. Just check it.

Hope this helps,

Carlos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carlos

Thanks for your reply.

I also noticed the banding when viewing static (photo) images from a Sony VIAO laptop, so I don't think the source is the problem.

Another reply (on a UK forum) also suggested power cables as a potential source of the problem, which is interesting.

Sam

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Have you tried to vary refresh rates or color depth of your HTPC or laptop to see if banding persisted. I have CX1 too and initially had banding until I changed to 32 bit depth on my HTPC. It's also dependent on video card as I had banding with my Nvidia TNT but not with Geforce2 GTS pro. If it's truely not source dependent it must be present in EVERY movie (DVD and VHS), EVERY source (composite, Svideo, VGA). Banding is most noticeable on white bright scenes like the daytime scene in Disney's Dinosaur movie (when the group almost ran over the smaller dinosaur. I think it's a limitation of the CX1 personally and that poorer, weaker, and brighter signals bring out banding more, but you can call customer service in UK to confirm. You can't compare the CX1 to VWH10T as they use different panels and are in different class (HT vs. business, cheap vs. expensive, 4:3 vs. 16:9).

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.