AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this but it seems an odd question to fit in any of the forums.

I have a DVD player with HDMI out as well as TOS out. I currently use a 2.1 receiver (HK 3490) for the audio, using the TOSLink and send the video over the HDMI to my TV. Everything is great with one exception. The DVD player sends the audio out over both the TOS link and the HDMI port so I get audio out of my TV as well as my receiver. This is an issue not only because the TV's built in speakers are crap, but also there is a subtle but very perceptable phase shift between the two audio sources. To fix this, I have to go into the TV's menu hierarchy and disable the TV's speakers. I do however use the TV's speakers for watching TV (I really don't care about TV sound quality). This is a pain as I have to then go back and re-enable the TV's built in speakers. Sadly, there is no button on the remote to switch between the two options (I've looked into using my harmony 900 to do this but it really doesn't do macros).

So, to make a long story short, is there any way to strip out the audio from the HDMI interface so I can only get audio out the TOS link? There's nothing in the DVD player to manage this and it only has a single HDMI out for video (no DVI out). If it requires a separate device to do this, I don't want to spend more then $50 bucks. Any more then that and I may as well replace the DVD player.

Thanks

--Brett

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
Why not just use the TV's mute button? If it does not time-out the mute display (which would be odd and unfortunate), then just roll the volume to minimum.

Alternatively, this might work: Convert the HDMI source to DVI, then convert it back to HDMI to feed the TV. DVI does not support audio. There are various cables and adapters that can do this, but I have not tried it to see if it would work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the mute icon does not time out. As for the volume, the remote is set to use the receiver for the volume so I'd have to fumble arround to adjust it. I thought about the DVI route but just using a hdmi-to-dvi adapter with a dvi-to-hdmi adapter will not stip the audio as the signal is unchanged. I suspect I'll need some sort of box with circuitry in it that can decode the signal, strip the sound out and then re-encode the signal...unless I'm missing something obvious (or not so obvious).

--Brett

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmonroe  /t/1416181/striping-audio-from-hdmi#post_22142512

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the mute icon does not time out. As for the volume, the remote is set to use the receiver for the volume so I'd have to fumble arround to adjust it. I thought about the DVI route but just using a hdmi-to-dvi adapter with a dvi-to-hdmi adapter will not stip the audio as the signal is unchanged. I suspect I'll need some sort of box with circuitry in it that can decode the signal, strip the sound out and then re-encode the signal...unless I'm missing something obvious (or not so obvious).

--Brett

I don't know if this will help you or not but sometimes when I don't want audio from a device I will direct the audio on the device to the head phone jack and then plug an empty/non attached head phone plug into it to blank the sound. On my two LCD TVs I can direct where I want the sound to go with my remote so if your TV is like that you could even leave the blank plug in the headphone jack until you want to use your headphones. I think this might also work if you have external speaker jacks on your TV, you put blank plugs in them, and directed the sound there in the menus.

I have a similar problem with my LED/LCD projector in the basement Home Theater I am building. I have a HDMI cable going from my Directv box and my Blu Ray player to a switch, and then a HDMI cable to the projector. The speakers in the projector leave something to be desired and I would rather use the 7.1 surround sound from my AVR. So in the projector menu I direct the sound to the headphone jack and put a blank plug in it. Then I run optical or coaxial cables from my Directv box and Blu Ray player to my AVR.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
If this is a DVD player (or a BD player at least a year old), you could use Component video instead of HDMI - and then just don't run the audio to the TV... If you adjust the TV inputs correctly (color/brightness/etc.), you probably won't be able to tell a difference between the component video and the HDMI output...

(I just turn the volume down to zero in my family room system, which would otherwise have the same problem).

Jeff

·
Registered
12,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmonroe  /t/1416181/striping-audio-from-hdmi#post_22142512

As for the volume, the remote is set to use the receiver for the volume so I'd have to fumble arround to adjust it.
So what happens when you use the TV stand-alone? The remote will not run the TV's volume control? It must be easier to turn down the volume than to access the speaker defeat menu.
Quote:
I thought about the DVI route but just using a hdmi-to-dvi adapter with a dvi-to-hdmi adapter will not stip the audio as the signal is unchanged.
My error. Yes, the audio is carried interleaved with the video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/1416181/striping-audio-from-hdmi#post_22142713

So what happens when you use the TV stand-alone? The remote will not run the TV's volume control? It must be easier to turn down the volume than to access the speaker defeat menu.

The Harmony swings the volume control back to the TV when I watch TV. That gives me an idea though. I may just programing the the channel buttons on the remote to manage the TV volume while the regular volume controls the HK. That way I don't have to pull out the TV remote (to disable the internal speakers).

Thanks!

--Brett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts