AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok - went to take the cover off to clean dust blobs and one screw is just spinning and spinning, for some reason it appears stripped. Has anyone had this problem and come up with a solution NOT involving magnets to try to wrest these little guys from their sleeves? I don't have any intention of snapping the plastic case to get the top off, but I REALLY want to get rid of a couple of dust blobs...

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
If the screw is self-tapping then it should be possible to unscrew it by gently rotating it while being careful not to apply any downwards pressure at all.

Another solution is to put a dab of superglue on the tip of the screwdriver and let it set while holding the tool against the screw. Then screw it out while pulling gently.

If it's a machine-screw then it's possible the anchor-nut is loose. That's a bigger problem.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
turn the unit so the screw is facing down, turn screw without putting pressure on it. hopefully it will work its way out

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
It may not be stripped.

When I opened mine this happened too (both times). When the screw disengages from the threaded hole on the PJ chassis, the cover, which can be under a little tension, will slip to one side a little. This pushes the screw threads against the cover, and it will turn freely, but not come out.

Try wiggling the cover around a little and also try tycoondog2's suggestion (oddly helpful for his participation in a plv70 thread).

Or try putting the screw back in tight and start over, making this the last one to come out. If it won't snug back down, then it may be stripped after all.

Also, note these screws were NOT torqued down very tightly originally, so do not power them back in, just slightly snug.

BB

Note: These are machine screws, not self tapping. And the inserts are all of a type unlikely to come loose, unless the PJ was made defectively.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
why dont you bring your plv70 to the NYC shoot out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.