AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is good way of stripping speaker wire.? Does Home Depot or Lowes sell anything specific?

The way I always do it is very frustrating and I always cut the copper and exhaust my hands.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are some tools for wire striping that may help you.

They look like a plier with some holes in it and some markings, with the hole´s diameter.

I don´t think it will be difficult to find. Check radio shack or Parts express HP.

Check THIS out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You want something called, logically enough, a wire stripper. Most tool houses carry them. I see them regularly in the local Ace Hardware $1 bin.

Or you could just use your front teeth- OK for vinyl, but teflon is hell on the enamel.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
For about $30 you can get the kind of stripper the pros use. It looks like a oversize pair of pliers with several springs and moving parts.. When you squeeze the handles a clamp on one side grabs the insulation and a die on the other first cuts through the insulation and then pull it off all in one smooth motion. Any good hardware store or electronics store will have one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This is gonna sound a little strange. I've used many tools for stripping cable wire, but the method I find best is using the largest blade on my Swiss Army knife. They're pretty sharp and easy to manipulate. I simply cut through on one side, going gently right before I hit the actual copper, then work my way around the shielding. When it barely touches the copper, I stop. After working my way around, the shielding pulls off pretty easily. Never cut a strand of wire yet and I've done this multiple times.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would agree with danbry39...I've used many wire strippers and the common problem on most of them is that they are not big enough. They claim to strip up to 10awg but in reality they can only do about 14awg.

if you try it on good wire it will strip some of the copper even though it says it should handle up to 10awg. I couldn't find anything to strip my 12awg speaker wire, I had to do it with a blade like

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm not recommending it, but in a pinch (and never on wire that really mattered) I've used a lighter to melt the shielding at the end of the wire. While hot, just pull it right off and then trim the copper to desired length.

-Robb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.