AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first timer here, so please excuse me if this isn't the proper way to pose a question. I got the 6187S a few days ago along with a Samsung Combo HD/Blu Ray player (BD 500U I believe is the model number). Anyway, the first HD disc I watched was incredible. It had flawless resolution. It was an animated film (The Ant Bully), but nonetheless it was sweet. The 2d movie I watched - MI III on HD-DVD has this flashing or strobe lighting effect which is really annoying and particularly visible in the darker scenes. Darker scenes are also grainy as well. Same thing with Oceans 13. I was initially running the combo player output at 1080p 24. I dropped it to 1080p 60 with little difference. I then dropped it to 1080i 60 and the flashing seemed to almost entirely go away. The picture didn't look quite as sharp, however. So, my question is, am I setting the TV up incorrectly or did I just waste money on a Full 1080p product that doesn't really look good all the time when it is in that mode? For reference, I'm hooked up via HDMI into my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR805)and then out to the 6187 using really expensive HDMI cables. I also calibrated the TV beforehand using the Avia Guide DVD. Any suggestions on how to combat this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't know how the newer LED models are built, but on the lamp-based DLPs that sounds like a bad ballast (the component that controls the voltage levels to the lanp). Definitely not normal, that's for sure.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The MI-III has known issues for being very demanding on various equipment in this regard.

Hard to say. Different equipment and different resolutions will act well differently.

I tend to stay at 1080i for best over all PQ.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeff /forum/post/12884369

The 2d movie I watched - MI III on HD-DVD has this flashing or strobe lighting effect which is really annoying and particularly visible in the darker scenes. Darker scenes are also grainy as well. Same thing with Oceans 13. I was initially running the combo player output at 1080p 24. I dropped it to 1080p 60 with little difference. I then dropped it to 1080i 60 and the flashing seemed to almost entirely go away. The picture didn't look quite as sharp, however. So, my question is, am I setting the TV up incorrectly or did I just waste money on a Full 1080p product that doesn't really look good all the time when it is in that mode? For reference, I'm hooked up via HDMI into my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR805)and then out to the 6187 using really expensive HDMI cables. I also calibrated the TV beforehand using the Avia Guide DVD. Any suggestions on how to combat this would be appreciated.

Try checking the forum and threads for the Samsung dual-format 5000 player here. There's an updated list of discs with troubled playback. Some mention graininess with the 5000 and posts outline recent firmware updates. Might be worthwhile bypassing the receiver temporarily just to see if that cures any problems. 1080/60i out from the player would be just like feeding OTA/cable/DBS movie channels to your display, so if the flashing isn't present perhaps that's another firmware bug that requires fixing with the 5000. Not having flashes with other sources points to the 5000, of course. Notice a survey in the dual-format-player forum indicates most owners plan keeping their machines as the bugs get ironed out, but a fair number are also switching to two (or one) HD-disc machine. -- John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason /forum/post/12885176

Try checking the forum and threads for the Samsung dual-format 5000 player here. There's an updated list of discs with troubled playback. Some mention graininess with the 5000 and posts outline recent firmware updates. Might be worthwhile bypassing the receiver temporarily just to see if that cures any problems. 1080/60i out from the player would be just like feeding OTA/cable/DBS movie channels to your display, so if the flashing isn't present perhaps that's another firmware bug that requires fixing with the 5000. Not having flashes with other sources points to the 5000, of course. Notice a survey in the dual-format-player forum indicates most owners plan keeping their machines as the bugs get ironed out, but a fair number are also switching to two (or one) HD-disc machine. -- John

Thanks for advice. I'll check on the Samsung Dual player forum. I was thinking it was more of a display problem, but I can see it being the player. I've heard of some complaints with this player. For that matter, I've heard of complaints with all types off HD DVD and Blu Ray players. Like manyother owners, I'll probably keep it and hold out for firmware updates as I really like the convenience of one unit. That is, unless I find an overwhelming number of dics that it has these problems with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah ... definitely keep in mind that just because you have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, that doesn't mean that a) the move you're watching wasn't MEANT to have some grain to it, or b) the transfer of that particular movie is always going to be good.

Sometimes I wonder how many people call Samsung to complain that when they watch Friday Night Lights in HD, everything looks all washed-out and grainy ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts