AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a popular music major student who is into R&B, Soul and Hip-hop, I'm definitely with team strong bass.

how about you? I've talked to some of my friends about it, they gave me different answers. I guess this really depends on individuals' preference and what kind of music they listen to mostly, right?

But to be honest, if I were to choose a speaker, I probably would like something in between. The speaker that has a good balance of everything would be the best choice.
You don't want too much exaggeration on bass neither. It can be tiring for ears.

What do you say? :)

Gabi,
Sugr

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Something inbetween is my preference. Not natural, but just a bit more bassy...I just bought a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos ST and hopefully, the bass they exhibit will satisfy me (just stereo, with no sub).

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
It depends on the material. Strong bass on some, natural sound for others. Strong bass on electronic music and action movies, but flat response for natural presentations, piano solos, string quartets, etc. The best thing to do is get a setup with as flat of a response as you can, and then EQ strong bass into it when you want it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I listen to music all the time: work, home, driving. For most (almost all) cases, I prefer less base (natural) performance. Because after exposed to high base background music for 20min, I got some tiny headache. I feel sick and cannot focus on my work.

I have a Jambox and a Bose SoundLink Mini, both sound great (really great). But I use Jambox for most of the time, because Bose offers too too much base.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rather have a well balanced speaker, and if I need bass use a subwoofer and bring it up a few dB

This too was my immediate reaction to your question. I want flat response from my speakers (particularly the front stage be that 2 ch or as part of a surround setup). I want even bass response from quality subwoofers evenly distributed in the listening space. Good decay times, etc. I prefer sealed subwoofers for this reason. That said, I always run my subs 3-5dB hot. I like to feel the bass but I also like the "fullness" a little extra dB on the low end adds to what I am listening to. Does not matter what kind of music or TV or movies...

Reactions: Sugr

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I listen to music all the time: work, home, driving. For most (almost all) cases, I prefer less base (natural) performance. Because after exposed to high base background music for 20min, I got some tiny headache. I feel sick and cannot focus on my work.

I have a Jambox and a Bose SoundLink Mini, both sound great (really great). But I use Jambox for most of the time, because Bose offers too too much base.
It's BASS:p I do not know why, but that one just drives me nuts! (short drive):eek:

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
I would prefer to hear it as it's intended. If a song has minimal bass, then I don't want some artificially boosted low end that isn't there. But if I am playing something that does extend down, I want the horsepower there if I need it. I don't think there is one speaker that can do it all, unless you spend big bucks on true full range. So for me, 2.1 is great for music.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I like extra bass with a flat response, but not boomy bass that just plays one note.

Too much is fatiguing, but too little is boring (less visceral).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Depends on the speaker, I have heard some speaker that sound really good with natural bass. I have also heard speaker that doing good with a bass bumb. I have also heard bad speaker with natural bass and etc...

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I agree with everything Transmaniacon stated. I want to hear what the artist envisioned. I have some pretty large planar-magnetic panel speakers that I've run for years without a sub and have enjoyed them immensely. I just didn't realize that some artists intended certain musical nuances that those panels could never reproduce. Once I added a quality sub, I understood what and why some artists added such deep bass and at unexpected times. A whole new world opened up. Several pieces of music I had been listening to for years was dramatically changed, some giving unexpected power, while other pieces an even more forlorn atmosphere. One piece even had me literally jumping from utter shock when those notes slammed into the walls so hard they shook. It's also a lot of fun when people are over and you watch them jump from shock, especially those who know this piece of music.

As long as a sub produces what my speakers cannot, and do so without undermining those speakers, I'm a happy camper. After playing with some different crossover points, I have now settled in and use a very low crossover point (40 Hz). I don't mind subtle enhancements, a more rounded or textured bass guitar for example or a little more bite from the drums, but I don't want to know a sub is hooked up at all, until it pulls something out of the hat, like a 32-foot pipe organ.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Loud, flabby bass sucks. Clean, controlled, and properly equalized to the room bass is what it's all about. As was said earlier, just reproduce what the artist intended. Don't want anything extra.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
i love what I have cause they can produce very little to very explosive bass all depending on the music. no sub required. it sounds very natural to me.

Reactions: Sugr

·
Premium Member
8,688 Posts
Something inbetween is my preference. Not natural, but just a bit more bassy...I just bought a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos ST and hopefully, the bass they exhibit will satisfy me (just stereo, with no sub).
It depends on the material. Strong bass on some, natural sound for others. Strong bass on electronic music and action movies, but flat response for natural presentations, piano solos, string quartets, etc. The best thing to do is get a setup with as flat of a response as you can, and then EQ strong bass into it when you want it.
Rather have a well balanced speaker, and if I need bass use a subwoofer and bring it up a few dB
This too was my immediate reaction to your question. I want flat response from my speakers (particularly the front stage be that 2 ch or as part of a surround setup). I want even bass response from quality subwoofers evenly distributed in the listening space. Good decay times, etc. I prefer sealed subwoofers for this reason. That said, I always run my subs 3-5dB hot. I like to feel the bass but I also like the "fullness" a little extra dB on the low end adds to what I am listening to. Does not matter what kind of music or TV or movies...
Natural for sure. Boomy bass sounds crappy to me.
I like extra bass with a flat response, but not boomy bass that just plays one note.

Too much is fatiguing, but too little is boring (less visceral).
I prefer clean strong but controlled bass. It is annoying when it is out of control and over powering everything else.
I agree with everything Transmaniacon stated. I want to hear what the artist envisioned. I have some pretty large planar-magnetic panel speakers that I've run for years without a sub and have enjoyed them immensely. I just didn't realize that some artists intended certain musical nuances that those panels could never reproduce. Once I added a quality sub, I understood what and why some artists added such deep bass and at unexpected times. A whole new world opened up. Several pieces of music I had been listening to for years was dramatically changed, some giving unexpected power, while other pieces an even more forlorn atmosphere. One piece even had me literally jumping from utter shock when those notes slammed into the walls so hard they shook. It's also a lot of fun when people are over and you watch them jump from shock, especially those who know this piece of music.

As long as a sub produces what my speakers cannot, and do so without undermining those speakers, I'm a happy camper. After playing with some different crossover points, I have now settled in and use a very low crossover point (40 Hz). I don't mind subtle enhancements, a more rounded or textured bass guitar for example or a little more bite from the drums, but I don't want to know a sub is hooked up at all, until it pulls something out of the hat, like a 32-foot pipe organ.
Loud, flabby bass sucks. Clean, controlled, and properly equalized to the room bass is what it's all about. As was said earlier, just reproduce what the artist intended. Don't want anything extra.
Well, I pretty well quoted every post.

Bass is a personal preference as far as I am concern.
I'm an audiofile by hearth, but when in come to Bass!
I like it a db or 1.5 over.

It should sound clear and not take over the mids or hight, if that make sence to
you.

Ray

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I like things au naturel! :D

I don't listen to much heavy bass electronic music so I use my sub at a very low level to more accurately produce an upright bass (which goes very low) - my reference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For music that has a lot of bass, I don't change my system at all from audyssey/antimode preset. But with music where I would like to have more bass (because I know there is but it's not coming up with my volumes), I'm using the audyssey low volume adjuster (forgot the name) set at -10dB. I have svs sb12-nsd and I live in an apartment so I can't play music really loud.

I love bass but hate when it is out of control.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
+1

And for me, it can even be mood dependent.

So I agree with the OP who started the thread. It's an individual preference thing :)

Reactions: darthray and Sugr
1 - 20 of 31 Posts