AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing an ota antenna that will pick up digital stations from about 100 miles away. I am currently using a cheap set of rabbit ears for my locals and i need one with a wider range to pick up my cbs feed. I would appreciate any help. I don't mind size just want a good reception.

thank you

skye

·
Registered
737 Posts
First, build a tall tower...say...500' and have it cleared by the FAA and then mount a Channel Master on top and you'll be set!

Seriously, as others will tell you, you're hindered by the curvature of the earth and your's and the towers' elevation. Also, terrain between you and the towers and the amount/height of buildings/trees immediately near you.

If you post more information about your location, there may be a chance but I doubt it. I'm 78 miles from Cincinnati and that's got to be the very fringe as I can consistently get faint pictures from the big analogs but pretty much have to rely on atmospheric assistance to get the digitals.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You can check this site for the VHF/UHF Tropospheric Ducting Forecast http://www.iprimus.ca/~hepburnw/tropo_wam.html

In general, a antenna with lots of gain mounted as high as you can will be the best, or even a few antennas stacked, but weather conditions will still dictate when you will get reliable reception.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.