AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are starting construction on a new home with a dedicated theater 16w x 23d x 10h including two rows of seating. Plan to do most of the finish out of the room ourselves (acoustical treatments, trim, wall fabric etc.) and I have lots of questions there too. But for now, I’m trying to get my arms around what’s the best way to handle some structural elements that I could have the builder perform.

The theater will be on our first floor adjacent to our great room and will share two walls with adjacent indoor space. The other two walls are exterior brick walls. It is a two story home, but there is no living space above the theater and the attic space up there is pretty isolated from other attic space.

Some general questions:

1.) Currently have a 1ft drop in the foundation at 12ft from screenwall. So, the ceiling is actually 10ft at the back of the room, increasing to 11 ft. Is this ok? Or should I not do the riser via the foundation, leaving an 11’ ceiling throughout, and then build a typical wooden riser.

2.) In the same vein, is it ok to have a concrete stage and pour it with the foundation (not sure I want to do this, but just curious if it’s acceptable)?

3.) Soffits - is it ok to have them built with the framing of the house or to add them later after sheetrocking?

4.) For the walls common with other living space, is single-stud/RSIC/double drywall adequate, or do I really need double stud/double drywall? Do I need to do any isolation on the ceiling?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
David,

1) I wouldn't make the risers permanent, if only for ease of resale. Also, unless you have done EXTREMELY thorough planning, I'd be a little worried about having a non-adjustable room layout.

2) I don't know a reason NOT to do this...except for the above.

3) Soffits can be usefull for running wires and cables and lighting. If you add them after the sheetrock, you don't have to worry about sealing up holes to keep the room accoustically sealed. If this is not a concern, I don't think there's any problem framing them out with the rest of the room.

4) It depends on how isolated you want the room. I'd do something with the ceiling, so the sound doesn't easily travel through the attic.

Good luck,

Rob

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,604 Posts
Yes, there is a problem with framing the soffits out with the rest of the room depending on how strict the enforcement of fire stopping code is in your county.

Also you need to be real sure about screen size, type of projector, how much of the front of the room you might want to consume with behind the screen speakers etc, to lock your self into what would be about a 10 -11 ft front row seating distance

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I have done some fairly detailed plans on seating distance, screen size and projector type, etc., but you're right about being locked in.

So it looks like the best way to go, is have my builder do the double stud/double drywall (with green glue between sheetrock layers) and I need to start searching the "how-to" threads for stage, riser and soffit construction.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,604 Posts
Be real clear with your builder about what a double stud wall is. Put it in writing and provide a diagram.

Also is double stud a staggered stud or a double wall separated by an inch?

If you say double stud the carpenter might just put two studs together located on 16 inch centers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.