AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always run single cables (cat5, 16-4, RG-6) taped together and then pulled to the particular room/wallplate. Here are my questions:

1. Since it's one thick bundle, does it prevent from being able to get around corners that could be done by more flexible singles? (I'm aware of the bend radius limits of cat5 & coax) And do you find that you have to bore larger holes to compensate for this bundle at the head end because of the lack of flexibility?

With singles I simply shake the cables and segregate each kind of wire into it's own hole of the panel/rack.

2. On pulls of 75-100 ft, does the weight of the cable become problematic, in that it reguires more man power to help move the cable along?

3. The time you save during pre-wire, is it lost during trim out when you have to separate the cables at the panel (home run) and individual wall plates?

4. Has anyone tried belden's "banana peel" and is the extra cost worth it?

Thanks

· Registered
5,604 Posts
Structure cabling does save labor time in prewiring. There is sometimes a cost advantage to running single cable of only what you need and to where. If you pound through the TGI joist perforated holes you do not need to drill out larger wholes in the main run. The weight/distance ratio is really not a concern as you pull the cable as you go. The time you save during pre-wire, is it lost during trim out when you have to separate the cables at the panel (home run) and individual wall plates? Yes, but not much and you will have loss for structured cable or individual runs when making terminations and buttoning up the trim plates.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.