AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, the little things have me stumped...

I am assembling the different modules for a 41" Leviton SMP that is flush mounted and I can't figure out what to use to attach the modules to the back of the panel. There is only about a 1/4" between the back of my panel and the drywall behind it so I need to be careful with fastener length.

I found some Leviton expansion fasteners but they seem to be for use with a thinner attach bracket.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Can you slide the enclosure out an inch, and then re-attach to the studs?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Are you using Levition modules? Do you not have the little plastic fasteners that allow you to attach modules to the panel?

Adding to what Neurorad said... can you take the panel down and attach the modules then reinstall the panel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't move the panel- It's flush mounted to the studs/drywall.

The plastic fasteners I bought at the local (remember, I am in Anchorage, AK) electronics place only have a depth capability of about a 1/16' or so. Most of the module brackets I have are either a 1/4" or 1/2" thick.

It looks like the holes in the panel are about #10 screw sized. I might run to the hardware store and see what sort of threaded fasteners I can find that would fit the holes.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
A box cutter and a screwdriver is all that you'll likely need to move that enclosure out an inch.

If it's caulked around the endge, cut it with the box cutter.

Loosen the screws holding the enclosure to the studs, then pull it out an inch. Then, tighten the screws. Clean up the caulk around the enclosure, and put in some new caulk (if necessary).

I've used some self-tapping metal screws, from Home Depot, to mount items into my Channel Vision steel enclosure.

If you can't get them short enough, use thick washers or 'stand-offs' to keep them from penetrating the drywall behind.

EDIT - warning - like a drill bit, these self-tapping sheet metal screws will leave small metal shavings. Tape up/cover exposed equipment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I looked at adding a plywood back to the Leviton structured panel, but elected to make brackets for my devices instead. This would work, as would smaller sheet metal screws, discussed above.

You are correct in that the Leviton push-pin system is for thinner flanged equipment.

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts