AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a structured wiring cabinet for an older house. I'm looking at the OnQ stuff, but I'm interested in other options. It will be a self install, because I have the time/capability to do it and I will be tinkering as I go (so I can't sit down and net it out for a professional).

I'm just looking for pointers to a few good options of companies with a good selection of modules. As I mentioned OnQ looks interesting. No offense to the structured wiring guys, but clearly they aren't great at networking, audio, video, etc. all at once. I'd like to avoid integrating my own solution (but probably will for networking), but if a company has core technology or solid partnerships with those who do, I'd prefer the cleaner install of the provider's modules. Video is most important...I'll do my own networking and I have no plans for audio, home automation or security (yet).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Leviton and Channel Vision are two big players in the SW market. I like Leviton products personally, but CV modules will fit into a Leviton can. Don't get too caught up on the networking swtiches and routers these companies offer. They are almost always more expensive and have less features than a stand alone prodcut. Just get some velco and mount your favorate switch/router in the panel. Looks good and you save a chunk of change.

--Jamie

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalj7 /forum/post/0

I like Leviton products personally, but CV modules will fit into a Leviton can.

--Jamie

I have been wanting to know this for a while, Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:

Leviton and Channel Vision are two big players in the SW market. I like Leviton products personally, but CV modules will fit into a Leviton can. Don't get too caught up on the networking swtiches and routers these companies offer. They are almost always more expensive and have less features than a stand alone prodcut. Just get some velco and mount your favorate switch/router in the panel. Looks good and you save a chunk of change.

--Jamie

Thanks - I sell routers/switches for a living - that was my point on the "no offense" comment. For the most part the integrated networking capability of most offerings are totally lacking. Thanks for the comments.

Between those 2, which one has a stronger video offering? Is that what you meant by you prefer Leviton?

·
Registered
48 Posts
By video, what do you mean? Standard RF/cable/satellite? I would say Channel Vision has some pretty good satellite and coax modules. Of course if you are going to more than one or two tv's use an amplified splitter. As to matrix switches and HDTV distribution, I don't think any of the companies have a SW solution for that.

Again, since the modules both fit in each others enclosure, you're not stuck with one company or the other. OnQ's modules and can are proprietary and can not be used in Leviton or CV systems (without some drilling of the enclosure that is)

--Jamie

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:

By video, what do you mean? Standard RF/cable/satellite? I would say Channel Vision has some pretty good satellite and coax modules. Of course if you are going to more than one or two tv's use an amplified splitter. As to matrix switches and HDTV distribution, I don't think any of the companies have a SW solution for that.

Again, since the modules both fit in each others enclosure, you're not stuck with one company or the other. OnQ's modules and can are proprietary and can not be used in Leviton or CV systems (without some drilling of the enclosure that is)

--Jamie

Are there no standards at all (even defacto) for hole spacing? I was interested in this cabinet for the apparent flexibility. There are rows of holes all over the place. It also has extra space and a nice door option. While I'm not looking to win a prize for the look of my SW box, I do like the fact that this one looks nice (vs the bland metal plate look).

By video, I primarily mean cable and antenna - no satellite and I was looking at this module , but I'm not stuck on any of this. I don't foresee needing interfaces like HDMI, etc. in the SW setup since I see that as an endpoint issue. I'm banking on the IP network (Cat5) being the long term distribution network, so I don't want to spend a ton on the stovepipe solutions today. The only one outside networking that I have to is the Coax RF stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not familiar with Channel Vision so I can't comment on that but I have the Leviton cabinets and components. I terminate/patch my tel, data, satellite tv and mounted my HAI security board and I've been happy with the result. And like royalj7 mentioned I just used velcro and a stand off to mount my modem and router.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?section=10611

Wayne

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsens /forum/post/0

Are there no standards at all (even defacto) for hole spacing? I was interested in this cabinet for the apparent flexibility. There are rows of holes all over the place. It also has extra space and a nice door option. While I'm not looking to win a prize for the look of my SW box, I do like the fact that this one looks nice (vs the bland metal plate look).

By video, I primarily mean cable and antenna - no satellite and I was looking at this module , but I'm not stuck on any of this. I don't foresee needing interfaces like HDMI, etc. in the SW setup since I see that as an endpoint issue. I'm banking on the IP network (Cat5) being the long term distribution network, so I don't want to spend a ton on the stovepipe solutions today. The only one outside networking that I have to is the Coax RF stuff.

Yea, unfortunately, OnQ stuff does not fit in Leviton or CV cans, and vice versa. The hole pattern and mounting mechanism are different. I found that out to my chagrin doing a job that had a OnQ 42" enclosure already installed and I tried to put in Leviton's 24-port media panel...no luck. So if you like OnQ's stuff, stick with it throughout your installation. One of the reasons I like the Levtion products is if I have a "oh ****" moment where I've forgot to order something or something doesn't work, I can go down to the local Home Depot and pick up some stuff, albeit for a little more money.

--Jamie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.