AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at adding structured wiring into my house. I will need to wire 5 bedrooms and 1 living room with Ethernet and coax cables. I might be able to wire the 4 upstairs bedroom by myself, but i am worried about the downstairs bedroom and living room: not sure how to go through the floor. I am new to this, and I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

This is a newer home (2001) with a slab located in the Bay Area CA.

Does anyone has a rough estimate price to do such work? Maybe some recommendations too?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice timing! I just posted a similar question over in the HTPC sub-forum, you can read the discussion here . I'm wiring 6 rooms with two cat6 runs to each location. My total for 1000ft cable, a 24-port patch panel, a cable stripper, twelve 2-ft patch cords, keystone ports and wall plates was about $125. I'm splitting the 1000-ft spool with a co-worker.

You should be able to wire the 1st floor rooms by yourself too. I assume you have a 2 story home with attic access? I'm not familiar with slab constructions. Do you have any access below the 1st floor rooms? Even just a crawl space? If not, it's going to be a little more difficult getting cable from the attic down through wall top plates (if you have top plates).

When you cut holes in the 2nd floor walls, maybe you can fit a right-angle drill in there, to drill down through the top plate framing inside the wall? Then you can feed cable down into the 1st floor walls. It wouldn't be too bad, considering you only have two 1st floor rooms. You'd need a rt-angle drill and a pretty long bit or an extension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_S /forum/post/15441945

Nice timing! I just posted a similar question over in the HTPC sub-forum, you can read the discussion here

Thanks for the link. I do not worry too much about the 'hardware', I am more concerned on how to route all those cables :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_S /forum/post/15441945

You should be able to wire the 1st floor rooms by yourself too. I assume you have a 2 story home with attic access? I'm not familiar with slab constructions. Do you have any access below the 1st floor rooms? Even just a crawl space? If not, it's going to be a little more difficult getting cable from the attic down through wall top plates (if you have top plates).

Well, 3 upstairs bedrooms have more less easy access through the attic. The 4th upstairs bedrooms and the master bedroom closet (where all the cables will joined) are not that easy unfortunately.

Since this is a slab, i do not have access to the crawl space at all. So everything have to be done through the walls. I really do not want to open up walls as it will bump the overall price quite a lot.

I read somewhere that a professional might take about $150 per line. Is it what people charge usually?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well, I'm not at all in your area of the country, but I'd charge time and materials for a retrofit job like that. And there would be some cutting & patching of sheetrock--not opening up entire walls, but enough to drill holes up & down.

Do you have any part of the house where there are closets stacked on top of each other? That would be the first spot I'd look into to make a pathway from attic to bottom floor. I'm assuming--perhaps wrongly--that because your house is on a slab, that the floor between is made of scissor trusses, and thus is relatively open for wiring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.