AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sonos system with a couple zones. My TV is completely separate from the Sonos. I often have issues when my wifi drops out, sometimes just for a second or two and sometimes it goes in and out all night. Often when I'm streaming music, but sometimes when I'm listening to music from my own server.

I don't know if it's because of my cable provider or because I live in the city and have a lot of interference in my apartment.

I'd like to do two things...

1. Not be reliant on my wifi signal for listening to music, (whether improving the signal or moving to wired system)
2. Connect my TV to one of my zones

Is it worth doing something like this?
http://matteradesigninc.com/services/smart-home-systems/structured-wiring/

Is there a DIY system I could create that would do this? Is it possible to setup some sort of media hub in one room (where the TV is located) and connect sonos speakers for the second room, where sound quality is not as important?

I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the options - not sure where to start.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Retrofitting a full structured wiring plant would be overkill, IMO...

You just need some cat5e/cat6 strung for Ethernet. Any low-voltage contractor (security company, A/V installation company, or any electrician) could do this, or if you're able, you can DIY.

Don't worry about building a full structured wiring solution unless you have other potential needs beyond simple Ethernet.

You can either pull wires from every room back to a central location (somewhere that has AC power available, too!), or just run lines between the 'remote' rooms to the 'main' one, and connect them point-to-point. The home-run, central location is the "correct" answer, but for retrofitting, being practical about the costs involved is prudent...

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts