1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room: 18x16x8

Furniture: couch along back wall, TV + speakers + sub along front wall

Setup: Onkyo TX-SR606, Polk Monitor 60, Polk CS2, Polk RT/FX, BIC VK-12

I have been trying to find a good spot for the BIC sub but so far I can't tell much difference in various spots. I tried the method of placing the sub right at your seating position and crawling around to hear where it sounds best. Every position sounds either "horrible" or "okay". Nothing really seems to jump out as "phenomenal".

Any other methods I should consider? I read through Floyd Toole's guide on the Harman website and even ran my room dimensions through his handy Excel sheet; with the sub at the "optimal" positions according to his guide there's basically no difference.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy /forum/post/19555457

I have been trying to find a good spot for the BIC sub but so far I can't tell much difference in various spots. I tried the method of placing the sub right at your seating position and crawling around to hear where it sounds best. Every position sounds either "horrible" or "okay". Nothing really seems to jump out as "phenomenal".

"Okay" sound is what you can expect from your setup. Onkyo 606 does not have sub equalization - this can be a problem for you. Some room treatment can help, but do not expect miracle.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

Quote:
Any other methods I should consider?
Yes – the Room EQ Wizard freeware from Home Theater Shack. All you need is a Radio Shack SPL meter and a budget USB sound card to take measurements of your subwoofer’s response. You can measure it in each location you’re considering, and see, not guess which one is best.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/19556055

"Okay" sound is what you can expect from your setup. Onkyo 606 does not have sub equalization - this can be a problem for you. Some room treatment can help, but do not expect miracle.

Can you expand on this? The receiver does have Audyssey and hence it is able to do a bit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It also could be the atmosphere of the room. The types of floors, deadening material used etc all play a major factor on SQ. It could be as simple as the layout of your room.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
I own a Bic and also have a dedicated video room with very capable subs. The Bic is in the living room system. I'm not sure what your expectation are ? I found the Bic to be able to keep up with the rest of my system which is an Onkyo 607 and Energy take speakers. I get great results, but not like the dedicated video room with quad 15's. You may need two if you are not getting the measurement you get with the test gear the guys are recommending. I did find it to be a lot of fun for the asking price. I have mine corner placed under my corner place LCD TV. It loads up the room pretty good from there. Never tried it anywhere else. Gaming was very unexpected when it added some great sound effects to the mix. My .02

kg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts