AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Onkyo 709 up from the 508.

I ran the Audyssey MultiEQ XT, and I have to say I am not terribly impressed.

It set my fronts and front wides to 40hz (they are rated low, but I have a huge awesome sub for a reason).

I have 3x 200Watt Monoblock amps (via preout) and the volume in movies was what I would call "barely loud" even close to max power on the 709.

I disabled a few settings in the "THX" area of the receiver, and set the fronts and wides to 60 or 80hz and the system seemed to come alive!

In my older 508, when I ran Audyssey, it also seemed to mute the system. When I disabled it, the entire system seemed more alive.

Am I missing something?

Also: Does Audyssey do more than change the crossover and +/- db rating? Coz if not, I have been able to do a better job tweaking it manually... :-/

Final note: My front mains are Mirage OM-7s with low sensitivity and 6 ohms. So I know they are hard to drive. But I have also run a full analog setup to them using the same power amps and they got a LOT louder than they do out of the Onkyo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie
Actually Audyssey doesn't set either the crossover or the trim level .. that's all Onkyo. Set your front mains to SMALL and increasing the crossover to either 60 or 80 is standard guidance. Also, make sure that Dyn Volume is not set to ON.
My Fronts are bass monsters with I believe dual 8" woofers.

That said, is small still suggested with my Outlaw 12' 350W EX sub doing the heavy lifting?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsegan
Also: Does Audyssey do more than change the crossover and +/- db rating? Coz if not, I have been able to do a better job tweaking it manually... :-/
I'm not sure if your question has been answered but Audyssey is altering the frequency response of your AVR to correct deficiencies in your listening room. Perhaps this is what you meant by the "+/- db rating".

You might try changing the "target curve" setting from Audyssey to "flat," and see if that improves things. Here's a description from the Audyssey site:

Quote:
The Audyssey Flat setting uses the MultEQ filters in the same way as the Audyssey curve, but it does not apply a high frequency roll-off. This setting is appropriate for very small or highly treated rooms in which the listener is seated quite close to the loudspeakers. It is also recommended for all rooms when the receiver is in THX processing mode. This allows THX re-equalization to operate exactly as it was intended.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Small vs large is a (stupid) "compromise" dreamed up when 5.1 became the standard.

Essentially...

Small=yes you want bass management

Large=no you don't want bass management

The trickery is this one...

Large+"LFE +main"=small

Your Onkyo should have this as speaker settings anyway...

Main

large/40/50/60(and so one)

Center

Large/40/50(and so on)

You don't even have the choice to "stay large" and pick a crossover. Even if your fronts can really reach 40-ish hz, set a crossover at 40...that way the 20-40hz info can get to your sub.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The auto program on the 709 changes the different channels to + or - the db rating. For example my Front Right was set to -2.5 db.

I don't have a "flat" option from what I can tell. I have Music and Movies. I assume that the Music setting is flatter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
Small vs large is a (stupid) "compromise" dreamed up when 5.1 became the standard.

Essentially...

Small=yes you want bass management

Large=no you don't want bass management

The trickery is this one...

Large+"LFE +main"=small

Your Onkyo should have this as speaker settings anyway...

Main

large/40/50/60(and so one)

Center

Large/40/50(and so on)

You don't even have the choice to "stay large" and pick a crossover. Even if your fronts can really reach 40-ish hz, set a crossover at 40...that way the 20-40hz info can get to your sub.

Can you explain again?

I think you are saying that Large purports to override the crossover?

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsegan
The auto program on the 709 changes the different channels to + or - the db rating. For example my Front Right was set to -2.5 db.

I don't have a "flat" option from what I can tell. I have Music and Movies. I assume that the Music setting is flatter?
Correct. Onkyo uses Audyssey Flat for the "Music" mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.