AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a house 2 years ago. At that time I prewired the whole house for Audio and Video distribution. My plan was to add Crestron Adagio system for audio distribution. My situation has changed and I am trying to find a cheaper solution than Crestron. I already have speakers and wiring done. I want to add Audio distribution in near future and add video distribution in a few years. Here are the requirements.

There will be 8 zones.

Two of these zones will have a local AV receiver so it will be nice to be able to connect to local receivers(Denon 4306 and Denon 3808Ci).

I have a Windows Home Server with all my ITunes and music CDs on my home network.

I also have a windows vista based media center PC.

I do own an IPOD so IPOD integration is nice to have but not essential.

I want a system that is easy to use i.e. wife friendly. I want to add a touch panel in Kitchen which is one of the zones. I want to have a nice remote I can use in the master bedroom. The remote should allow me to select any source or music.

AM/FM and HD Radio integration would be big plus.

Sound Quality, ease of use and aesthetics are the three most important factors.

I don't mind paying the professional installer but I don't want a system where I have to pay additional programming for anything new I add to my home.

I like systems like Sonos because they are so easy to setup but I have a reliable cat5e network in my home so I want to make use of this network instead of going wireless.

I am considering Nuvo Grand Concerto with Music Port as one of the options.

They don't have touch panels or a nice remote but I can live with that.

I don't want to go over $10000-$12000 but spending less would be nice.

Are there any whole house audio distribution systems that are based on Windows Media Center PC?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
From your description, it does sound like the Grand Concerto is a pretty good solution for you. It has 8 zones but only 6 are powered so you can reuse your two receivers. If you want better integration, you'll need to find some way to get IR from the GC to your receivers to turn them on/off and select sources.

My setup is very similar to yours and I went with the Grand Concerto. I am using a GC to control 16 zones and all my music is stored on a Windows Home Server. I plan to use their control pads and supplement with Philips pronto TSU9600 controls. There might be better options on the wireless control depending on your needs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You mentioned a touch panel in the kitchen. What are you thinking about for the other zones. Do you want to be able to control any zone's music from any other zone.

What format is your music in? mp3, wav, apple lossless?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I want to be able to select source and music from each zone.

The music is in wave and apple lossless format.

I want to use just one touch panel for cost reasons. Touch panels seem to be super expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You don't have to go wireless with Sonos. Most other options on the higher end will require programming for anything else you add. I would suggest Control4 as they have a nice remote and a touch panel you could use as well but it does require programming.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a quote from a Nuvo Grand Concerto install for $5797. This includes all equipment(Grand Concerto, Music Port, AM/FM Tuner and install)

I checked out Sonos and I can build a similar system for about $5600.

How do these two systems compare?

Which has better sound quality?

Which is easier to use?

Which is more extensible?

Which is more reliable?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts