AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.... long time lurker and occasional poster.

The latest project is to get multichannel audio from my laptop to the home theater system and I seem to be flailing with every attempt and have only achieved partial success. I have tried several hardware devices and with the exception of one, they all just send a 48k pcm stream.

I don't need a DVD/BR in the PC so I just want to send multichannel audio from Netflix, Xfinity, Amazon Prime and YouTube to the HT system (MC1 driving Bryston 9BST and M&K THX system).

Hardware devices that I tried, starting with the most successful device:

HDMI audio extractor from amazon. This device does seem to work well and do what it is supposed to do and I am using a DisplayPort->HDMI cable between the laptop doc and the device. The issue here is that I can only get 5.1 DD/DTS to the MC1 if I play DVDs through Windows Medial Player or Power DVD. None of the aforementioned online services play in anything other than
2-ch PCM.

I also tried a couple of different USB-SPDIF adapters. Both worked great for 2 channel PCM but neither produced multichannel, not even with a DVD.

The first one I tried was the PHIREE U2S. That one does not support DD/DTS at all and it was a mistake to purchase it. I picked this one up because it was described as an upgrade to the HA-INFO.

After returning the PHIREE U2S, I ordered the HA-INFO U2 because it was described as supporting DTS/DD. NOT! What arrived was labeled a little differently than the picture. It was labeled as a "PHIREE U2" and was shorter and wider than the PHIREE U2S. I sent this one back too. Thanks amazon prime.

Should I be looking a t a different hardware device or am I perhaps missing a piece of software to enable the multichannel from the web? I even wrote a file with 5.1 DD audio through sony vegas movie studio so that I could play it back through media player and it doe not work either.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Most of those online services don't support 5.1 from a PC and some don't support 5.1 at all (youtube). If you see a video on youtube that claims 5.1 in the description they are lying.
Netflix supports 5.1 from the pc but only with the windows 8 app. I don't know about xfinity but I'm guessing they don't support it as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Tanks for the reply. That is actually what I was afraid of.

With that said, I think I might go back to a USB->SPDIF solution because it is simpler to integrate.

Do any of the PC games have 5.1? I thought that Minecraft did but just tried and it does not appear to be the case. Maybe that is only on the PS3..??

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes there is but they typically aren't encoded in Dolby Digital like the PS3 and Xbox360. That being said you are pretty much limited to 5.1 with an analog system or hdmi. Spdif requires Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The issues you describe are one of the reasons I have a Roku 3 for streaming services and use my HTPC for everything else. The picture and audio quality of Netflix, VUDU, etc. is much better with the Roku.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts