AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new th-42pwd8uk and so far the set is stellar in many respects... black level, brightness etc... however, I am really struggling setting the contrast to see whites properly. High end whites are getting blown out. I currently have the picture setting down to -18 and brightness down around -12... I have even tried experimenting with the Input Level adjustment. Can anybody help with this?

Thanks for any help provided.

RA

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Use a test disc like DVE. Pattern 12-14 (or 15) with the grayscale ramp is an excellent way to set contrast.

Regards

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

Use a test disc like DVE. Pattern 12-14 (or 15) with the grayscale ramp is an excellent way to set contrast.

Regards
The pattern from Title 12 Chapter 15 is what I was using... I can't get detail to show up on the high end of the greyscale...

RA

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Check your DVD player to see if it has its own contrast setting that is set too high ...

Panasonic S97 players for instance come OOTB crushing whites .

Regards

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

Check your DVD player to see if it has its own contrast setting that is set too high ...

Panasonic S97 players for instance come OOTB crushing whites .

Regards
I am using the Denon DVM-1815. I will have to check for settings related to that but it is happening on my SD signal from DTV as well. Are you familiar with the Panasonic ED line... should this be able to be rectified?

Thanks,

RA

·
Registered
341 Posts
Have you set the plasma to CINEMA mode before starting, it comes in DYNAMIC mode ootb which is not pleastent and crushes everything, including your retenas!

Sorry if you have already set it to CINEMA mode and you think I am being obvious, but if it is your first Panny you may not realise.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizlaroc
Have you set the plasma to CINEMA mode before starting, it comes in DYNAMIC mode ootb which is not pleastent and crushes everything, including your retenas!

Sorry if you have already set it to CINEMA mode and you think I am being obvious, but if it is your first Panny you may not realise.
Yes, it is on Cinema, but thanks for the suggestion...

Does nobody else have this issue with their ED Panny or other panel?

RA

·
23,031 Posts
radamo,

Just in case you don't know, on the DVE ramps there are "dots" underneath "video black" and "video white" even though the ramps extend more in each direction. You want blacks to keeping getting darker until it reaches the "video black" dot on the left end. Whites should keep getting whiter up to the "video white" dot, but if they keep getting whiter thats ok because your display may be able to show "whiter than whiter". However, the only real way to make sure the settings are correct is to use test equipment to measure. With DVE or Avia you can make things "self relative" correct. Calibrating to D6500 would be the "really correct". :)

larry

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
radamo,

Just in case you don't know, on the DVE ramps there are "dots" underneath "video black" and "video white" even though the ramps extend more in each direction. You want blacks to keeping getting darker until it reaches the "video black" dot on the left end. Whites should keep getting whiter up to the "video white" dot, but if they keep getting whiter thats ok because your display may be able to show "whiter than whiter". However, the only real way to make sure the settings are correct is to use test equipment to measure. With DVE or Avia you can make things "self relative" correct. Calibrating to D6500 would be the "really correct". :)

larry
Larry,

I will look for the "dots" next time I load up DVE... I didn't notice those... But the block of white at the right side of the ramp got pure white early and didn't seem to "scale"... Using the THX optimizer from Shrek there is a test screen that has a white box that is supposed to have 4 shaded boxes within it.. On my system, no matter what I do I just see a white box...

RA

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have a Panasonic ED plasma and had similar results as you with a Denon 910 DVD player. For example, on the THX Optimizer contrast pattern where there are supposed to be 4 or 8 squares with different shades of white I saw only 1 big white square. The gray scale ramps on the DVE test pattern had the same issue. No matter what I set the contrast to on the Panny I could not get the whites right. I ended up taking it back and getting a different player (Denon 2200). Out of the box it had a similar issue but it has menu options that allow you to change the white level and that did the trick for me. If the 1815 has similar internals to the 910 you may be having the same issue. Between crushing blacks and blown out whites it gave a dull, lifeless picture on my set and was just not a good match with my Panasonic. I would suggest you try a different DVD player.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSD
I have a Panasonic ED plasma and had similar results as you with a Denon 910 DVD player....
Jim,

That is a good suggestion for the DVD side. How is your Standard Def TV content? Have you been able to get "whites" right for it?

Thanks for your input.

RA

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Standard def TV content is OK. I'm not as critical about that because the quality varies so much from channel to channel. When we first got the plasma I thought SD looked pretty good on it. Now it doesn't seem to look as good to me and I'm not sure if that is because I've become accustomed to HD or if our cable signal has weakened. I don't notice an issue with the whites on SD, but I don't have test patterns to check against. BTW, we get the SD channels via a Pioneer cable box hooked up to the Panny's DVI input. We seem to get better reception by using the cable box's tuner than if we hook the cable directly up to the Panny's NTSC tuner.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSD
Standard def TV content is OK. .... We seem to get better reception by using the cable box's tuner than if we hook the cable directly up to the Panny's NTSC tuner.
I am using a Directv Tivo unit for SD... my HD box is coming next week. The white of the Chicago Bear's uniforms on the football game last night were killing me.

RA

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
Also, IIRC, Panny's used to have something called "AGC". Turn it off.

larry
Larry,

I have tried this with AGC both on and off... it is now off and I am at 2.2 Gamma...

Thanks... What does that do? Is is similar to running with S-Curve for Gamma?

RA

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got the 42PWD8UK and I'm seeing the same problem with overblown whites on some SD content. I just changed color temp to cool. It helped a little.

Gary

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just want everyone to know that both Visual Apex and Panasonic have given me great support in resolving this issue and in helping me understand the causes...

I am fairly confident that the issue that I was seeing was more due to poor NTSC quality than any issue with the display... Obviously I will keep an eye out for this in the future but this set is amazing...

Radamo...

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo
Larry,

I have tried this with AGC both on and off... it is now off and I am at 2.2 Gamma...

Thanks... What does that do? Is is similar to running with S-Curve for Gamma?

RA
2.2 Gamma curve is correct. S-Curve and AGC are the defaults for the Dynamic setting. You will loose detail and puch up the screen. This is designed to compete in the showrooms.

Without getting into gray scales, I have found that it is best to turn off just about everything on my 657UY:

Picture Setting Cinema

Color Tempurature Normal

Color Management OFF

Picture 0 or less

Brightness adjusted with DVE

Advanced settings Off takes care of the rest.

-- Rich

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
2.2 Gamma curve is correct. S-Curve and AGC are the defaults for the Dynamic setting. You will loose detail and puch up the screen. This is designed to compete in the showrooms.

-- Rich
Rich,

Even with everything off I couldn't get grey scales to look right at the high end with

my DVD player. Once I changed players all is good...

Thanks,

RA

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
OK, found this thread....

Glad to hear you're getting some results. What DVD layer did you end up testing ?

T Wiz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.