AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a Harmon K. AVR 254 through Def tec UIW 75 inwalls and CLR2002 center. Hsu Sub. Although the Harmon has a nice sound(50watts per), I feel like it works pretty hard. The speakers can all handle up to 250W. I know the inwalls have limitations but I went there to clean up my space and have been ok with it,they are impressive, having given up some pretty sweet audiophile equip. I'm looking for input. Currently eying a onkyo 808 thinking the 135w x7 would provide better sound not to mention the updates in current and extra features. I mention the 808 because it's in my price range, get's great reviews and seems the most bang for the buck. This is primarily about getting a noticeable sound upgrade? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I doubt you will notice a lot of difference. H/K receiver amplifier sections are very conservatively rated compared to many other manufacturers. I believe your 245 does have "pre-outs" for the 5 audio channels, so you could get an external amplifier for the front 3 speakers, leaving the receiver to power the much lesser stressed surrounds.
http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm .

Of course there is always the option to get the new Onkyo "just because" !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I have the pre outs. I am just trying to justify an upgrade here, but if I move and don't get the value I will be disappointed. The 808 sure has a lot more goodies (if I use them) and I here great things about the sound performance. Hmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for confirming and that suggestion, that's a great option. I it's hard to not go for the onk 808 to get the processor upgrades. Networked, I need more HDMI's now, 1.4's if I ever go 3d. Audessey DSX if I want to run wides some day.etc. Then if I want more power in future use the pre outs on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts