AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I desperately want to do Number Of The Beast on EXPERT in RB (and then eventually GH3).

Problem is, if I do just down-strums....forget it, i can't keep up..maybe for a few bars....then, I just can't move my aging thumb/fingers/anything I can get my ahnds on to try to keep up that constant 16th note strumming.

So naturally the key is to up/down strum.

Only.

I can't seem to do it. I just can't seem to keep a constant tempo while up-down strumming.

Anyone got a good way to practice or at least point me to some youtube videos? I learned that the Wolfmother song was all hammeron/pull offs by watching a video (before I was trying to strum every note in those quick finger rolls, making it extra difficult).

????

·
Registered
29 Posts
x-play had a guy showing how to strum and he said to pinch the toggle between your fingers like you would hold a pick and move it up and down.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The song I practiced this technique on was Knights of Cydonia on hard in Guitar Hero 3.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just practice doing it on songs of lower difficulty.

When I first got GH I realized that and up/down strum pattern would be a necessity on the more difficult songs later down the line so I made sure to force myself to learn it right from the get go.

I'm sure it will be boring to go back so far but, I'm not sure of a better way to learn.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I found that the trick to strumming is to go slower than you think. Your natural reaction when you see the notes are to go as fast as you can. You won't hit the notes this way.

Practice mode is VERY helpful with this. Take the section you want to learn and practice up and down strumming at decreased speed then increase until you reach 100%.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm guessing you have GHII by your Woman note. Seriously, play Tattooed Love Boys in that game and practice alt-strumming in the chorus. It's a great song to learn the technique.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I went back to easy and re-learned how to strum up and down that way. Progressed through medium and after a bit of that I was ready for Hard/Expert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts