AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Oval dish and the installer finally came today. However we ran into an issue where he tried to install the mounting arm onto the side of the house (stucco) and when he went to put on the dish it started to rip the bracket and arm right off the side of the house. The studs used on my house appearantly aren't wide enough for the bracket..so he tried some silicone to no avail.

Currently it's now in the yard with a pole in a cement bucket, it works great but obviously isn't an ideal setup.

Anyone have any ideas on installing this thing on the side of a stucco house? If nothing else I will buy an extension to this current pole so the dish will clear the fence, and bury it in the corner of the yard.

Oh yeah, forgot the mention all the wood edges around the house are covered with gutter, and climbing on the roof to attach it to the chimney somehow isn't really an option either since I have tile roofing and don't want to risk breaking them.

Open to any ideas :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
To risk further damage to the side of your house, I'd go with just putting the pole in the ground(cemented). That's what I did with mine. Used a Galvanized 8 foot fence post( 1 5/8" dia ). Dug a hole about 3 feet deep and cemented it in the ground. Works great and it's out of the way.

Heres a Pic of mine:
http://www.geocities.com/drruss_47/Dcp00217.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand what happened. What ripped out, the stucco, or the screws that were holding the bracket? Didn't your installer use anchors of some sort?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If it's really necessary to mount to the side of the house, I'd think with stucco that at the minimum two lengths of 2x4 spanning and bolted into two or three framing studs would be a minimum requirement. Their spacing, in turn, would be close enough to allow the mount bracket to be securely bolted to them. Not pretty, but, it should hold securely without worrying about damage to the stucco. Going with a concrete mount, though would be very good. Ditto a chimney strap mount if that's an option.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I mounted a DirecDuo antenna on the side of my stucco house and had absolutely "zero" issues (this antenna weighed significantly more than any of the other antennas, especially when you consider the weight of the receptors out at the end of the receiving arm).

Home Depot has some bolt receptors that expand against the stucco when you screw a bolt into them. I forget what they're called, but they are about 1-2" cylindrical steel pieces that have been fashioned with large threading inside of them. You'll have to drill some sizable holes for them to fit into, probably 3/8" - 1/2", so pick up some masonry drill bits while you're there. Use at least 4 of these, if not more, to handle the stresses of the moment arm that your dish will create (ewhh, sorry, engineering terms). As long as your stucco depth is at least 1/2 - 3/4 inch and decent quality, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Don't bother trying to drill into the studs for stability, you won't need them unless your exterior masonry is really lousy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim. That sounds exactly like what i'll need to do. I'll have to check out the good Home Deop this wkd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.