AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I just had a new truck stereo installed that is top of the line (JVC KW-NX7000) complete with a nice speaker and sub set to match. The hu supports USB devices including external harddrives and media players that use the FAT32 file system. I am anti-Apple so I opted for the iPod modules and cabling to be excluded in the install. DRM really screws things up for me. Anyway, I need help picking out something to store all of my music along with some videos on it that is high capacity (120GB+) that supports the FAT32 file system, and that I can use as a harddrive storage player (when hooked up to the hu) and can be used as a media player when I take it out of the truck on the go like in the gym etc. It also needs to be powered via USB only so that I do not have to mess with adapters and shizz. The Zune appealed to me until reading all of the DRM and restrictions crap that Microshaft incorporated so that is out. Is there anything out there that will do what I need? Thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got my wife an iPod classic 120 for xmas, and it is fairly sweet. If I do go this route though, I will have to rip out my hu and purchase additional modules and cables along with installing them. The thing is, if there are no solutions out there for what I want to do, I'll just have to use a portable hdd. Are there any other solutions out there?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would not rule out the Zune either. it is an excellent device. I would just load it with DRM free music and stay away from the microsoft WMA's.

I have found the MP3 downloads from Amazon to be excellent. All are 256kbs and completely w/o DRM. They also have the advantage of being regular MP3's instead of AAC's of itunes and WMA's of the Zune store. That makes them compatable with other devices, like streaming to xbox 360 etc.

I can understand the anti apple sentiment. I have a iPod classic 160 loaded with lots of Apple Lossless files. The sound is good, but there are so many annoying things about the way iTunes operates. It sometimes drives me crazy! I feel like steve jobs personally trying to control my music library.

You may know much of this already, but hope it helps some!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts