AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have counted on the people of this forum to help me fix every possible problem my Replay 3060 has encountered in the past 26 months. But now I seem to be stuck. I hope it isn't permanent.

Facts:

Non-hacked 3060. DirecTV and Cable.

It freezes up more than it used to, maybe once a week. A restart (using the button) doesn't cure this, so it needs to be unplugged. After replugging, the program listings have to be downloaded again. This is a pain, but I can live with it.

The last time, I un/replugged (three days ago, just before The Sopranos, of course), it went to the quick setup screen and made me go through my phone numbers and A/V inputs, etc. It remembered my previous selections. It dials in and gets the local numbers over again, then once I select the local phone number, it calls in and gets the programming information. (Side Note: it gives me the 'no answer' message after about nine seconds of dialing, and successfully connects after about 15 tries).

Before it can 'combine programming data' or whatever it says, it says 'out of memory, power-up' or something and I reboot, and instead of the normal process of combining programming data, we are back to the very first screen that says 'begin quick setup'.

I can't do the replay codes, I can't exit the quick setup screen. If I unplug, I come back to the quick setup screen when I replug in.

No one is more attached to their ReplayTV than I. Maybe its reached the end of its lifespan.

Is there a way to fix this? And without losing the forty or so searches I have?

Thank you in advance,

Michael.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You can exit quick setup by doing 49152 zones.

I suspect your hard drive has is defective. You're lucky it boots up.

Buy a new drive and install a downloaded image on it. Chances are good it'll work just fine after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that. I have gotten the 'click of death' on several occasions.

As a semi-technically savvy person, is installing a new hard drive too difficult for me? I've installed CD Burners and Hard Drives and memory on my computer. How much more difficult is installing one in my Replay? I would enjoy the 120 hours of disk space that a new Maxtor would give me.

Should I get one of the guys on e-bay to do it for me, with the extra cost involved?

What are the pros and cons of upgrading the hard drive v. buying a new Sonic Blue unit?

Thank you,

Michael.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...58#post1339558 for directions how to install the downloaded disk image onto a new hard drive.

You could email me if you want a ready to boot drive.

There is nothing wrong with the old recorders. If you think you want commercial skip or network connectivity go with the new ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.