AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the Panny TH-42PWD5UY, which is backordered at Dell and Visual Apex. Dell allows returns, so if they come through with the goods I'm not worried about dead or stuck pixels (I could just return it). Visual Apex stated to me that their policy is to allow a return if there's even one dead or stuck pixel. However, most of the other online vendors (e.g. 1800plasmas) do not allow returns and have stated that manufactures will not replace a unit unless there are >3 stuck or dead pixels AND they are in the middle of the screen.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to wait for Dell or Visual Apex to get the unit in stock or go with someone else who has an inferior policy on stuck/dead pixels. I've read the faq on stuck/dead pixels and done a search, but really am interested in the practical questions of: (1) what are the chances that the Panny will actually arrive with stuck or dead pixels, and (2) if there are two or three stuck or dead pixels, do I really care, since it's my understanding that a special screen test is typically required to detect these things and they don't normally show up under ordinary viewing conditions?

Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't think I've heard of one person on this forum that has a panny and had dead/stuck pixels.Its mostly the pioneers that have this problem.bm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I order the same unit from Visual Apex on Monday, and it has shipped. Are you sure about the backorder?"

I called Visual Apex on Monday and was told they had just taken an order for their last unit and were out of stock. Lucky dog!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
People knock the Panasonic because it has no detail in the blacks, no upgrade-ability, not enough inputs, no DVI, priced higher, soft picture, colors looked washed out, etc, etc, but they can't knock Panasonic for "Dead/Stuck Pixels". I'll even go as far as 99.99% that this will not be a concern for you. You go ahead and purchase from the dealer that you will feel comfortably with. Good luck and enjoy.

Dave

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I'll argue you on the washed out colors Dave. Everything else in that list has no argument. But I find the colors to be anything but washed out. People say the Pioneer colors are more accurate, but I find them faded, and not vibrant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's with the "soft picture" and "colors washed out"? Unfortunately, I am buying this unit sight unseen. I demo'd the Gateway and ultimately cancelled it in favor of the Panny based on advice in this forum. Because I live downtown Chicago, work a lot, and don't have a car, I haven't had a chance to see the Panny before buying it (the B&M places around here are mostly in the 'burbs) and am kind of taking it on faith that it's all that and a slice of bread, as folks on this forum imply. I know about the lack of details in black but will take that any day of the week over no blacks (as with some "other brands" out there) but the soft picture and washed out colors, if true, are a real concern.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My panny's colors are very vibrant,not washed out at all.I've seen alot of different plasmas and never thought that of the panasonic line of plasmas. bm

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Pat: You will love it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As far as the original question goes, I would go for the folks who have the better return policy. Even if there are few or no reports of dead pixels on Panasonics, I would not want to be the first on this forum to get a deficient one, with no return option.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Let me clarify my statement. What I stated is what has been posted on this forum by some members over the last few years. I was being facetious. I have had the 42" Panny and currently have the 50" Panny. I was one of the first who had the 42" Panny ISF'd and then made the argument that what these people were reporting just wasn't true about "Colors", Washed Out" and "Soft Picture". In fact the Panny line displays the most "Natural" looking picture of them all. It is also very favorable when it comes to SD. I was only trying to re-assure you about the Pixel issue that you seemed to be concerned about.

For those of you that might want to know I also had two Pioneers (503CMX) this year and returned them both because they could not measure up to the Panasonic (PQ Wise). The Pioneer does beat the Panasonic for ugradeability, inputs and price though.

Dave

·
Registered
299 Posts
It remains a very personal choice.

If you see both you'll probably like one of them more than the other. Which one is affected by the environment you view it in and should be influenced by the environment you plan to use it in, but they are different so don't expect to get agreement between people who have already chosen to buy one over the other, including me :)

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
This mirrors a concern I have been having in Dell v. Plasma Extreme.

Is anyone aware of a combined source of information on the most used dealers, their return and payment policies? Such information is scattered amongs threads in the forum, but it would be nice to see it all put together so everyone does not have to reinvent the wheel on this.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Major Havoc
This mirrors a concern I have been having in Dell v. Plasma Extreme.

Is anyone aware of a combined source of information on the most used dealers, their return and payment policies? Such information is scattered amongs threads in the forum, but it would be nice to see it all put together so everyone does not have to reinvent the wheel on this.
Dell

Harley

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sure it's a personal choice. But each time I've seen the Panasonic plasmas next to the Pioneers, I've definately been drawn visually to the Panasonics. I personally got the feeling that the Pioneers weren't an accurate color - too vibrant to be real for me.

Although in the stores the HD Panasonic model looked dimmer and less vibrant than the SD, I went with the HD. Just bought it last weekend. At home, in home lighting conditions, I have to turn down the white level considerably otherwise it's too bright. (I've used AVIA. Noticed it was helpful in educating me about white and black levels - but I now tweak for visual preference.)

In HD the flesh tones are unbelievable. People's faces look so healthy. There's absolutely no washed out look at all. I was amazed at the vibrant colors last night on Leno. They have a lot going on colorwise in the background which I never really noticed before. Makes it worth staying up just to watch.

Erik

·
Registered
674 Posts
I own a Pioneer and I have no stuck or dead pixels.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fizbin
As far as the original question goes, I would go for the folks who have the better return policy. Even if there are few or no reports of dead pixels on Panasonics, I would not want to be the first on this forum to get a deficient one, with no return option.
Defective or not, for $3500+ I will only buy it from someone who has a liberal return policy. You probably don't hear from them on this board, but there has to be somebody that 2 weeks after buying one says to themselves "what the hell was I thinking?" We are, after all, human and prone to making rash decisions!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.