AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While playing back a show, the picture froze, and the sound started looping over the same second or two. After several seconds of this, the Replay 4000 rebooted.

Is this more likely an encoding/decoding error, or some physical hard disk problem? If there's a bad spot on the disc, I suppose preserving the episode will prevent that spot from being used again. Or is the problem only going to get worse, in which case I should try to repair it while still under warranty? The machine is only a few months old.

//Ken

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Most likely, it's a one-time thing. You won't know, of course, until you see it repeat several times...

But this type of behavior is not unheard of. It doesn't happen often, but I wouldn't get ready to send it back quite yet.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken McRee
While playing back a show, the picture froze, and the sound started looping over the same second or two. After several seconds of this, the Replay 4000 rebooted.

Is this more likely an encoding/decoding error, or some physical hard disk problem? If there's a bad spot on the disc, I suppose preserving the episode will prevent that spot from being used again. Or is the problem only going to get worse, in which case I should try to repair it while still under warranty? The machine is only a few months old.

//Ken
What size unit is it? Possibly could be a disk problem, more likely it's nothing. As jleavens said the key will be in whether it happens repeatedly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the big one -- the 320?

Not sure it matters, but I forgot to mention that after the first reboot, I played it again, and the exact same thing happened at the same spot. After the second reboot, I searched to just before that point, and then was able to skip (30 second) over it with no problems.

//Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.