AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mistakenly went into network selector and changed to the modem network connection instead of my usual net connection. Now my 5040 unit is asking for a phone number and despite the statement on the screen about pressing the back button to go back to network selection page (doesn't do anything) the unit is forcing me to use a modem. Even after unplugging the unit and allowing for a reboot and going to the network selection it immediately goes to the modem screen promptly asking for a phone number.. Any ideas how to reset this?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zband /forum/post/18209057

I mistakenly went into network selector and changed to the modem network connection instead of my usual net connection. Now my 5040 unit is asking for a phone number and despite the statement on the screen about pressing the back button to go back to network selection page (doesn't do anything) the unit is forcing me to use a modem. Even after unplugging the unit and allowing for a reboot and going to the network selection it immediately goes to the modem screen promptly asking for a phone number.. Any ideas how to reset this?

Hmmm. Not sure what you did, but there is a bug in the software, in that if you don't set the ReplayTV up from the get-go for a modem, it never learns the 1-800 number to fetch local numbers. It's POSSIBLE, and I am sure that someone else will gong me if I am wrong, that your RTV wants to connect via modem before doing anything else.

I had to do a factory reset on a second-hand RTV because the unit was never set up for modem use. That was the ONLY way to get it to acquire local phone numbers, no matter what I did.

If nobody else can help, you can off-load the shows to your PC, do a factory reset, and then set it up to use ethernet. Remember, the same risk will apply if you make the mistake again... If you have a land line, let the unit initialize itself via modem first, then switch over to ethernet.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zband /forum/post/18216292

OK any link to how to reset it?

3-8-2 Zones

You will be prompted, "Are you sure?"

Then do it.

Your RTV will then display Quick Setup, just as if you pulled it out of the box.

If you have a land line, set it up for modem first, THEN switch to Ethernet. Just so this never happens again.

Cheers!

-Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts