AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just picked up a LG 60PN6500 60" plasma from Best Buy. 2 days after I got it home, it has developed a stuck (not dead) green pixel. Certain screen content will illuminate the pixel very bright green, and it is undetectable under other screen content. It is dead center on the panel, maybe just a couple inches to the left, so it is extremely annoying to say the least. It basically flashes on and off, since not all content makes it appear, but most does. Very bright, very obvious, and very annoying.

Do those color slide fixes ACTUALLY work? Or should I just return the TV? It is a huge pain to return, since I need to get a friend with a truck to help me, however I am within the return period still.

I also would hate to "fix" it, and find that the fix was temporary, and have this issue outside of the return period.

My research suggests TV manufacturers' stuck pixel warranties are next to useless, since they require you to have multiple pixels with the problem, not just 1, even though 1 is all it takes to destroy resale value and make the set painful to watch.

I know there are lots of people with pixel issues on older TV's, etc. however I do not feel like my 2-day old TV should have anything less than a perfect panel.

Any advice? Should I exchange the TV or should I (reluctantly) hop on the LED LCD train? Plasma TVs are slim pickings these days!

Thanks!!

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
Pixel defects are not that uncommon across all modern display techs. The next set you get might also be afflicted or worse. However, this one sounds very bothersome given how conspicuous your description of it is. Since you got it from Best Buy. the return is easier than most outlets. I would give it a shot if it were me. Trying to fix it is a fool's errand, IMO. The best exerciser would probably be Disney's World of Wonder pixel flipper.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You NEED to return it for a replacement. I currently have a Panasonic S64, had an 42 inch LG plasma before, had a 46 inch Sony LCD prior to that, and NONE of them had any bad pixels.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have spoken to Best Buy and they offered to exchange the TV hassle-free, even if I didn't have the packaging (which I do). Here's hoping the next one doesn't have any issues! The only annoying part is I need to bother my friend who owns a truck again.

I'm tempted to buy the extended warranty, since they can discount them pretty heavily. All my life I have never bothered with extra warranties, but on an entry level plasma it might be worth it. Who knows.

Cheers!

·
Banned
385 Posts
Good to see it was sorted out, if that happens down the track give VSUS a boost which can also bring brightness back to out of the box levels. If you can find one it is worth having a pdf service manual handy for when that warranty does run out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts