AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is the location of the stud(s) to install plasma wallmount brackets?

I'm placing a 42" plasma (most likely panny) on the wall above the fireplace (above the mantel), and there isn't a stud in the middle. There are two studs off center placed about 1ft apart.

Thanks in advance,

marius

·
Registered
925 Posts
it depends upon your mounting hardware, but in general the few i've seen have rows of holes 16" apart on center. these things are HEAVY. don't mount it unless you can hit stud. if you can't hit stud, you'll need to do something creative, undoubtedly involving a drill press and creating new stud-friendly holes in your wall mount.

doody.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same issue. I mounted a 5/8" sheet of plywood to 3 studs using 3 1/2" inch lag bolts then mounted the plasma to it, very secure. I mounted the plasma using 1/4" Bolts and nuts, I cut pockets into the wall for the bolt head. I oainted te plywood white to match the wall and it is hidden behind the plasma.

John

San Jose, Ca

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big John,

What were the dimensions of your plywood?

Also, do you think it may be safe to just use lag bolts all the way around even for mounting the bracket? I'd really hate to make any big holes in the wall...

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The way I figured it the 2 outside studs are 32" apart I left a couple inches so the wood was about 36" wide and tall enough for the bracket. I ended up doing the same thing in the garage for my telephone box, that one I did just use the lag bolts but that unit is maybe 30 lbs where the plasma is 65. I think you might be okay but the lags will probably protude into the wall also making holes. I just made a dimple in the wall just enough for the bolt head this can easily be patched if you ever take down the plasma. Even the lags going into the studs will leave holes. I'm trying to find my USB cable to post some pics

:)

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
take a look in your friendly home depot for some

of the newer types of wall anchor. They have a

plastic piece with a thread on it (self tapping)

which is quite large, and a metal screw which

screws into the plastic piece. You screw the plastic

into the wall, then the screw into the plastic.

They are rated at different weights up, I believe,

to 50 lbs per screw. They do appear to do

what they claim. I would recommend making

sure you have a 200% margin over the weight

of screen plus bracket. ie if the screen and bracket

are 100lbs, you want enough of these bolts to

carry 300lbs, which would be 6 if they were 50lbs

per screw.

If you possibly can, hit a stud for at least one of

the pieces of the bracket.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot everyone. Now there's nothing stopping me from buying my plasma TV. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
I mounted my NEC 50MP1 yesterday and chose NOT to use stud locations with my mount.

I made a custom wall mount bracket out of angle iron, and the part of my bracket sytem that mounted to the wall had multiple holes in it so I could avoid the studs.

The reason I didn't use studs is because I wanted to mount my Plasma EXACTLY where I wanted it. I am using 5 wall anchors over a 30" span of angle iron. They are the type that have a collapseable wing type anchor that you squeeze together and push through the hole, and then reopen inside the wall.

I could hang on the bracket myself (all 200lbs of me,) with NO problems at all.

I made my own bracket because I didn't want to spend $200 for something I could make myself...Call me cheap but a dollar is a dollar...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like to mount the plasma dead-on center with the fireplace, thus I cut an opening big enough to place the 2 studs at 16" o.c., fasten them at sides and top. The few issues with mounting the plasma above the fireplace are 1) ones have to look up to view, slightly uncomfortable for kids 2) the heat and fumes (wood fireplace). Winter is here, thoughts?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about the heat and decided that as long as the plasma is mounted there we won't use the fireplace. You can tell I got my priorities straight. :D

Luckily we live in California so fireplace usually ends up being useless except for looks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The plasma's outline their operating conditions. Light the fireplace and take some temperature readings where you intend to place the plasma to see if it's within operating range.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I worry more about the fume than heat. Anyway, the Sony worth the price on or off, it's an artwork with silver slanted frame. So for now, I will use central air and/or portable heater if needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.